RMAF 2016................Boenicke W5

I spent quite awhile in the Boenicke/Sotm room at the show and was quite taken aback on how musically engaging the W5's were. They ooze a musical timbre that was simply stunning. Considering how diminutive they are (no bigger than PC speakers) they produce a big sound stage. To my ears they are a true Hi-Fi bargain at a paltry $3600 a pair when they are compared to some speakers that cost many times  more and are not in the same league as these miniature mighty marvels. There were a few speakers at the show that nearly made my ears bleed and my wallet to hide........

Anything float your boat at this years show?

128x128gawdbless

Showing 2 responses by dentdog

The surprise factor of an ultra small speaker talking big can be and probably is an element in the wow factor experienced by the OP. Admittedly, to get some great timbre and believable music from such a small package is quite remarkable. The price-well if you look at the offerings on this site 3.6K isn't otherworldly. Gawd is just saying, in his view, they outperformed their price tag. We all listen to each other in attempting to dig through price/valuations etc. 
charles 1dad, I have two sets of Zu speakers. They must be dialed in and other factors must be dealt with, tubes etc. But I assure you they have a 'they are here" quality and can be balanced to give an eerily real presentation. In a hotel with two days prep? Maybe not.

I really need to get out more. There are so many speakers/products that I would love to hear. Being out of the hobby for so many years before deciding to put together a system I have missed the evolution of music reproduction. The Boenicke W5 seems to represent a big move forward in the quantity/quality equation. With WAF and small listening spaces considered, something like these just might be an option when they send me to the old folks home. Hopefully they put me in the section with the hearing impaired.