Ripping Techniques for Digital Audio Players

Ok,
I just got a wifi squeezebox and a while back, downloaded EAC (Exact Audio Copy). I have been copying my cd's uncompressed, which results in a .wav file. Is this the most preferred way (for best fidelity), or is Apple lossless even better?

Out of the box the SB is impressive when playing uncompressed files. Any tips on how to improve the sound? I see welborne labs has a nice power supply. Any experience here?
Thanks!
128x128dpac996

Showing 2 responses by dpac996

Whoops, well I see that this is another contentious area of our beloved passion...what else is new. I did some research today and came across some interesting stuff, thanks to wikipedia and slimdevices wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_data_compression

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/

I hate the inconvenience of not having tagged files when ripping to .wav, and will experiment on the same cd ripped to FLAC (also lossless).
Stereotaipei,
considering I despise iTunes, EAC + FLAC is the path for me. Thanks.
Chazz,
No cd-r's for this fella... all my original source CD's are going direct to my seagate/maxtor HDD's.
Awesome story though. About the format longevity thing here is a short story: I have 30+year old 8-tracks my dad used to record family christmas's on, and the original pioneer player, and it still works!! However, with Matlab 2GB RAM, and my sound card I digitized some of them to 44.1 kHz digital audio (overkill). Some of them the little metal splice fell off (adhesive dried up) when it cycled thru to the switch and now priceless analog sits there all messed up, until i can fix it...any ideas?

Power supplys:
That bolder supply is overkill (wicked $), in my book. I went to welborne labs and bought a kit shipped for under 2 bills. It is a MORE than adequate supply for best possible power supply performance of the little squeezebox.

Mods:
No mods for me (other than the outboard linear ps) the only thing I might do is install a BNC. I intend to use an outboard DAC. I just don't see ripping the original device up and fully pimping it out...if it were me I would save my time and money and go for the transporter, which is based on a vastly superior design to begin with. You can't mod your way out of a design intended for mass market (no offense to the SB3 it is what it is an I love it for that).

Anyway i'm kind of new to the network player thing, but FLAC/EAC seem to be the way to go.

I would love to hear a transporter someday.