Review: Lindemann D680 CD Player

Category: Digital

I recently purchased through Audiogon a Lindemann D680 CD/HDCD/SACD player that upsamples CD/HDCD and also plays SACDs. This German-made player is truly reference. I compared vinly to regular CDs and am amazed at how closely the Lindemann out of the box gets to vinyl ("Muddy Waters folk singer" -CD and 180 gram vinyl, Oscar Peterson - "We Get Requests"-- CD and vinyl). Red Rose "Live at Sandy's
"SACD, you could hear individual ice cubes clinking in the background at times. On opera and classical, massed voices and strings are clearly articulated with lots of air and space and "hair raising palpability." Extended highs, full, controlled bass. Male and female voices life size and without any hint of distortion, contraction, or emphasis -- just natural with the correct articulation and projection of a live performance. Red Rose "The Art of the Fugue" SACD as reproduced on the Lindemann D680 brought the listener into the entire venue. I listen to pipe organ very Sunday, and the Lindemann is the closest yet to that experience. I have only been listening for a few days! I just wanted to let other music lovers know of this great player.

Associated gear
Pass Labs X-1 preamp
Music Reference RM9MKII-newly retubed
Sota Comos V5, Graham 2.2, Benz Ruby2
HMS Gran Finale Top Match, Nordost Quattro Fil, SPM speaker cables, Accoustic Zen interconnects

Similar products
Sony DVP9000ES, Wadia 830
jdsaudio
Al, I agree with you about the virtues of the Audio Note DAC and CEC transports. I had the CEC TL0 MkII Improved and the Audio Note DAC 4.1x Signature. Actually I still own the AN although I do not have it to compare with the Lindemann. The AN is in UK being repaired; a long story.

My Lindemann has been playing continually for the last 8 days. It will get better for about the first 6 days. You have to breakin both the cd and sacd portions.
Yes, break-in does improve on overall musicality, dynamics and liquidity (if there are such words). Upgrading factory-provided power cords also makes some sonic improvements, even with power conditioning and balanced A/C power, which I didn't expect. Sound reproduction by the Lindemann D680 now defies words or descriptions. You must experience it for yourself.
I am anxious to hear what folks have to say about this player. It would be especially helpful to all, I think, if the thread contributors that have listened to the Lindemann could compare it, if possible, to other players they have had experience with. I personally am most interested in a comparison to Audio Aero or Audiomecca or any other top rated player out there. I'm sure the d680 sounds great...but in what way and compared to what is my question. Thanks.
I agree with Avnut- it would be great to see a side-by-side comparison with other top players. Regarding digital, I owned the Capitole Mk I for about a year and a half. It did some things very well- i.e. a wonderful midrange, but ultimately found transport/dac combo far superior on a number of paramters. The Lindemann may be the new kid on the block, but until I could hear it myself and compare to my current digital setup- Esoteric (Teac) transport/Audionote Dac, it remains just that- a compelling review, but a good one none the less!