Re-wired to 30 amps?

I've seen posts here where guys have re-wired and increased their home elecrical circuits to 30 amps to accomodate their power-hog electronics. What is the typical ampere rating in a residential elecrical circuit?
128x128mitch4t

Showing 1 response by marty9876

15 amp would be typical. I am pretty sure 14 ga wire can handle 15 amps, 12 gauge wire can handle 20 amps and 10 gauge wire can handle 30 amps.

Most of the upgrades you have seen would have been people installing dedicated lines, with new wire. It is a very, very bad idea to just start swapping circuit breakers, and not change the wire gauge of the circuit.

As far as 30 amp lines go, their really is no reason to install them as dedicated lines. And yes I installed one. 10 gauge wire is fine/up to code but the outlets are only rated to 15/20 amps. 10 pounds of crap in a five pound bag. Plus the "code" plugs for 30 amps are not the neat after market ones you can buy, they are huge locking ones.

Also I really don't know of any 30 amp devices out their. I am not saying they are none, but the biggest I have seen requires a 20 amp line.

Marty