PS: Typical McGowan Sound? -- HCA-2 & Classic 250

The commentary I have read on the HCA-2 has been mixed, but the criticisms I read remind me of the typical criticisms that have been expressed on all of Paul McGowan's designs in the past: An upfront, technicolor upper midrange & lower treble, some harmonic thinness, & a tight, but lean bass.

I'd sooner believe the review on Audiogon than I would KR's review in Stereophile, whose questionable hearing I don't trust.

In looking at the responses to the Audiogon review, it is interesting to see that half the responders love it; the other half hate it. By seeing all of them for sale on 'Gon now, you wonder what the real scoop is.

I'm kind of interested in the CLASSIC 250, which is a non-digital design that has alot of hoopla about it on the PS website. Has anyone heard or bought this amp, or compared it to the HCA-2?
kevziek

Showing 8 responses by kevziek

"Why don't you go for the 30 day free trial?...." Sounds like an ad for PS Audio........ Maybe I just want some feedback at this time.......

I'm not one to put much stock in measurements, BUT...look at the Stereophile Dec. review, and John Atkinson's measurements of this piece are horrifying. The considerable distortion in the high end of this amp is not comforting, and makes one wonder if some of the 'detailing' is really a manifestation of distortion. An audiophile friend and I had a conversation about this possibility yesterday. Again, I really don't pay much attention to measurements, BUT when they are this gross, and you can tell that even JA, who many accuse of pandering to his bigger advertisers, PS being one of them, it makes you question the design.
Fiddler, if anyone is exhibiting juvenile behavior, it is you. Your feeble attempt to discredit my response will be seen as exactly that.

And now you falsely state that I have a similar post on Audio Asylum when I have nothing on that site. You are only reinforcing the negative picture of yourself that you continually create in this thread.

Give it a rest before Audiogon silences you. The real question is, what are YOUR real motivations?
Fiddler's comment is a typical example of the audiophile who cannot accept questioning or criticism of their beloved choice without attacking the questioner. His paranoid accusations of my engaging in "PS bashing" is quite uncalled for.

I myself own tube equipment, and I can tell you that my last two tube amps were not purchased on the basis of distortion specs; however, both of them tested on Stereophile with substantially less distortion than the HCA-2. JA's comments on the type and magnitude of the distortion it exhibited are particularly troublesome. JA specifically points out that the distortion he found indicates the amp is having a very hard time dealing with signals that other amps don't. THAT is a concern. Look at the spikes for the IM tests. They are dreadful!

Although I don't place great emphasis on measurements, I do believe that they can, and have been proven, to show gross problems with the design.

Furthermore, the sonic character described by those criticizing it (i.e. pushed too far forward in mids & lower highs, too lean midbass, brightness) have been criticisms of Paul McGowan's designs in the past. These comments seem to support this as his preference in sound. I certainly don't cherish such qualities, and wish to avoid them.

Audiogon's forums are intended as a place to foster healthy controversy and discussion, not to attack those questioning a design that you happen to own.
How right. Does Sam Tellig review anything that isn't great? You can't trust the reviewers. I don't mean to disparage this amp -- I'm sure it has its good qualities, but I, for one, cannot overlook the very strong negative comments, or the glaringly bad lab results.

I'll have to look it up, but I believe the Bel Canto evo amp, which is Class D as well, did not measure so badly as the PS did. Even Stereophile's reviewer did say it was fuller, warmer, less upfront sounding, and actually he said, in its 2nd generation, it was on the same playing field as the HCA-2. So, why isn't everyone raving about it?
Fiddler's comments don't deserve any response. He thinks he comes out smelling like a rose when it is a stinkweed that would be a closer fit.

To ad to the plethora of his unacceptable, vicious comments towards me is his adolescent warning of possible legal action against me. What, for a discussion post on an amplifier? I think that says it all.

It is Fiddler who should be at fear of "legal recourse" when he falsely accuses me, now twice, of posting negative comments about this amp on AA. Let him substantiate this absolute falsehood.

"Inciting negativity about a company illegitimately"?
What, by discussing criticisms of this product made by other Audiogon members and by the review's tester?

As a parting thought, after his shameful adolescent displays above, Fiddler should hardly tell me to "Be a man." He demonstrates no capability at that himself.
Fiddler, get off your preaching podium & get real. When I said "measurements basically mean crap," I didn't mean ANY & ALL measurements are irrelevant. I was referring to the typical 0.001% vs. 0.1% differences that some audiophiles find important.

To use a bad analogy, as you seem to like to do: If I go to the deli and ask for 1/4 pd. of ham, I don't care if I get an ounce or even two over; but I would care if I was given 1 pd. when I asked for 1/4 pd.!

Same with measurements. If a piece measures grossly bad, it is an indication that this may manifest itself AUDIBLY, and possibly indicate a design problem.

My opinions are not contrary -- that's how you choose to see them to support your own views. Your comments are, frankly, appearing as harassments rather than useful contributions.
Paul McGowan,

What a treat to have you answer! Maybe my archrival here notified you.... My intent here was not to prove your design was flawed, but to question why certain measurements are so bad, and why some listeners don't seem to like the amp.

Considering the amps you personally own, I would agree that you don't like the sound that has been perhaps incorrectly attributed by some to your design. Actually the amps you mention are very good pieces and I have owned a Power 2 and a VT-100 Mk II, so I am familiar with their sound. If the HCA-2 has many of their attributes, then it may be a great sounding piece.

If you would address the test results of Mr. Atkinson, I think many would appreciate that here.
Nrchy, WOW what a vacuous response! The questions I asked were hardly obnoxious. Major suck-up? No, just being nice to the designer. The major suck-ups to PS were accomplished by Fiddler, the self-proclaimed defender of the PS universe. If you want to read obnoxious, read Fiddler's comments about me on audio asylum under PS Forums.