Proceed AVP vs Denon AVP-A1HDCI & Krell S-1000

Hey guys. I have a Proceed AVP pro which is about 15 years old, Sunfire TGA-7200 amp, Monitor Audio Platinum Speakers, Audiolab 8000T tuner & other high end gear.
The Platinum PL-300 mains are driven in Bi-amp.
I would like to know if the Denon AVP-A1HDCI & Krell S-1000 will beat the proceed in sound quality.I know that the two are tough & newer. New features require HDMI.I don't care about extra features. I mainly care about top quality sound.
I compared the Proceed with other good brands such as Sunfire pro & Anthem. But the Proceed was more refined, detailed & tighter & more controlled bass. So I am focusing on the Denon & Krell & which one of them will make my speakers sing better.

Regards
albannai

Showing 1 response by classicjazz

I had the AVP and then the AVP2. I now have the Denon AVP-A1HDCI. As a preamp the Proceed was quite good but a bit colored and restrained compared to top notch standalone preamps. Keep in mind that I have not owned an AVP2 for two years but I had it alongside probably the Levinson 32 preamp (no contest) as well as subsequent other preamps of similar caliber.

The AVP has a nice DAC section and the Audyssey system which is highly worthwhile if you have a problematic room. It also has XM radio and NET radio capability as well as an FM tuner and HD radio. For my purposes it's a Swiss army knife unit that does a lot (esp. for background music with the various tuners) while only taking up one rack space in my overcrowded rack.

I once owned the Krell Audio Video Standard and numerous Krell amps. I still think well of Krell amps but feel that AV processors are not their strong suit.

Regards,

CJ