Proceed AVP or Meridian 561?

Hello all. I'm new here and am going to start building an HT system. Currently have no surround processor and am intrigued by the above 2 units. Hoping to pick one up used. I also have an old Bryston 3B amp and .5B preamp running a pair of NHT 2.5's. Where do I start? Use the 3B? Buy a new 5 channel amp? Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
tommyg

Showing 1 response by mikelavigne

i own the AVP and love it. seems to have all the bases covered except 5.1 channel analog pass-thru for when i go to sacd multi-channel (there is an in-expensive Sony solution to that problem). the AVP is easy to setup, has worked flawlessly for 3 years, is easily software upgradable, and sounds great (i have a separate 2-channel room but the AVP is a very good 2-channel preamp). i personnally think it looks great too.

i have not personally used the Meridian. it has a good reputation; some do say it is more complicated to setup and is not as good a 2-channel performer but 561 owners seem happy.

i think the Madrigal lineage of the AVP gives you a different slant on things verses the Meridian slant. an analog culture verses a digital culture.