Preferred Node 2i and Ayre CDP connections to Soekris 2541 DAC?

Old timer 2 channel guy who just today took delivery of a Soekris 2541 DAC, and I'm about to order a Node 2i for my first foray into the world of streaming.  I currently run an Ayre CDP via XLRs into my Pathos Logos integrated amp. I now plan on running the Soekris into the amp via XLRs. 

The Ayre CDP was rated very highly in it's day, but since it's now 15 years old, I assume I'd want to run that through the Soekris unit, as well as the Node.  My question/s is what do you recommend I run for connections from the Node and the Ayre CDP into the DAC?   Soekris has TOS, RCA, BNC, AES, and of course USB 'ins'. Since I have to purchase a new cable or two anyway, which connections would you suggest I use.  Ayre has XLR and RCA outs.  I've been away from the hobby for about a dozen years so explain your thoughts to me on the connections like I was a 4 year old. 
northwoods_maine

Showing 3 responses by lowrider57

Node2i has S/PDIF RCA and Toslink out. RCA out sounds best, so you can go RCA to RCA input or RCA to BNC in. You need a 75ohm cable.

If your Ayre has AES/EBU out, you can run AES to the DAC.

Does your dac have separate RCA and BNC inputs? If so, you can use S/PDIF for both devices, although some users swear by using AES.

If your Ayre CDP is an older model definitely try using it as a transport. Also, due to age it may not have AES digital out.
Since your DAC has both S/PDIF RCA and BNC, you can use them for Node and CD (with a 75ohm BNC adapter).

XLR and coax out on your CDP are analogue. Take a look and see if there is a digital output.

If not, then that’s a really old CD player. Only a digital output can feed a Dac. So,  you can only run the analogue outputs to a preamp.