Power cord for CJ MF2500A

I have a Conrad Johnson MF2500A amp and it sounds really good. My only problem is the power cord is about six feet and it won't reach my wall outlet so I have to plug it into a power strip. Has anyone ever had an IEC bracket installed to allow for an after market power cord? If so, was there any improvement in sound? I'm more concerned with the ability to plug directly into the wall outlet than I am about using a different power cord. The supplied power cord works quite well and I have read that Conrad Johnson spent time developing the right cord to go with this amp.
jimmymac
Modern cj amplifiers, including the great premier 350, have 20Amp IEC brackets factory installed. The cables they supply are industry very good quality cables, not too expensive - may be they will be able to supply you a custom length cable.
Post removed 
I have a 350 and have used several, both 20 amp and 15 with a Voodoo adapter. They do sound better than the stock cord. I would get a good 15 amp IEC installed. It would be easier to replace the stock cord with a better captive one but you wouldn't be able to try others.
I used a 2500A for years. I found this Naim recommended, Wiremold L10320 brand power strip extension, which has very high quality parts but no fuses or overload protection, to be the perfect solution. I bought mine from Allied Electronics, but they are generally available, and can be purchased from any Naim dealer.
Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards having a good 15 amp IEC installed. I could then use my DCCA power cord.
Any idea on how much it would cost to install an IEC? I called one tech shop and they wouldn't give me an estimate without looking at the amp. I'm looking for a ballpark figure.
Post removed 
Post removed 
I installed an IEC in my 2500A over 5 years ago and it was not difficult. Remove the top cover. Once removed there is a power circuit board that is held by four screws. Once removed simply move out of the way. (there is enough lead wires to reveal the capture cord underneath the power board)
I then took a IEC and traced the outside shape( after cutting the cord) Took a drill bit that was the diameter of the top and bottom of the IEC, then I took a file and filed out the shape of the IEC. Fitted the plug flush against the outside of the back panel, aligned it straight and drilled two small holes to fasten the plug. Once the IEC new opening is completed,pull the excess three wire opening,white(neutral)green(ground) and black (hot). Make sure to maintain polarity, on the back of the IEC

IEC one of the prongs is mark with the letter N for neutral, black wire goes on the opposite side and the middle prong is ground (green) When the three wires are soldered. Fit the plug on the panel using two screws to fasten the plug securely.

I hope you will find this helpful. I am glad I performed this small operation, it provides flexibility for trying after market power cords. Good luck. Sam

I installed an IEC in my 2500A over 5 years ago and it was not difficult. Remove the top cover. Once removed there is a power circuit board that is held by four screws. Once removed simply move out of the way. (there is enough lead wires to reveal the capture cord underneath the power board)
I then took a IEC and traced the outside shape( after cutting the cord) Took a drill bit that was the diameter of the top and bottom of the IEC, then I took a file and filed out the shape of the IEC. Fit the plug flush against the outside of the back panel, aligned it straight and drilled two small holes to fasten the plug. Once the IEC new opening completed,pull the excess three wire opening,white(neutral)green(ground)and black (hot).Make sure to maintain polarity, on the back of the IEC.

IEC one of the prongs is mark with the letter N for neutral, black wire goes on the opposite side and the middle prong is ground (green) When the three wires are soldered. Fit the plug on the panel using two screws to fasten the plug securely.

I hope you will find this helpful. I am glad I performed this small operation, it provides flexibility for trying after market power cords. Good luck. Sam

Install or have CJ install the IEC. CJ includes a very good power cord with their amps and I am surprised that you have the A version and do not have an IEC. They will also sell their power cord which is 8' long. ESP (Essential Sound Products) makes a very good power cord that works with CJ amps. On the less expensive side the Volex power cord (4614 or something like that (I can find the part #) for $8 are a wonderful surprise.
Yeah, I was surprised it didn't have an IEC. I have a nice DCCA cord that I would like to use. I'm going to try an an IEC adaptor and go from there. If I determine there is a noticeable improvement then I'll go ahead and have a permanent IEC installed. Thanks.
Conrad Johnson tells me they can't install an IEC because they don't have the "metal working equipment" to do it.
Post removed 
It’s my understanding that CJ does not install IEC’s on their older equipment because they feel that an aftermarket cord would not be an improvement. At least that was my understanding when I spoke to Ed in tech service and Lew Johnson one day last year when I was at the factory. FWIW, I have a 2250A (with an IEC). I’ve tried several aftermarket cords (including DCCA) and the stock cord, the one that CJ calls their “hospital cord” sounds as good as the aftermarket cords I’ve tried. I've also tried the hospital cord with my Premier 16 II, and again thought that it was as good (or better) than several aftermarket cords that I've tried. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a believer in aftermarket PC’s. They DO make a significant difference for the better on some equipment. For what ever reason, on the CJ equipment that I’ve tried them with, to my ears, they do not. YMMV.
CJ like McIntosh recommends their stock power cords. That said many do change out the iec or use aftermarket power cords. It may not sound any better just different. I use Kimber PK10 Palladians throughout my system and they're amazing but I do like the stock pc's. The stock pc's are alot easier to route than bigger aftermarket ones.
I am must say that I really could not detect any audible difference after I installed the IEC socket in the amp. What motivated me to do this in the first place, Is that I was told that I would get 20 percent more improvement by using a aftermarket cord from my dealer. I cannot verify from my listening experience that there was a 20 percent improvement. But I do not regret from doing the modification; it was fun doing it and it dose give me more options to experiment. Sam
If you live close to the west coast I can accommodate you. I have replaced power cords on C/J's in the past with custom power cords. The problem with putting an IEC socket on any amp is space. I have an IEC hole punch, it's quite large, and therefore space is needed where the hole is to be punched in order to use it. There usually isn't enough space.
The "hospital cord" is very good. It is comparable to other power cords in the $1000 range. If you are handly with a soldering iron you can change out the stock cord for the CJ hospital cord. As once asked, where are you located?
Hifigeek, thanks for the response. It sounds pretyy darn good with the regular power cord so I don't think it's worth the money to ship it back and forth to SoCal. I'll continue to look for local options. My bigger problem is that it doesn't reach my wall outlet so I'm using a Beldin power strip. I actually put the amp up for sale because of this. If it sells, I'll try something else, maybe a McIntosh to match my McIntosh C220. If it doesn't sell I'll try other options such as an IEC adaptor or a better power strip.
Have someone local make you a heavy gauge extension cord with the length you require. 12-14ga. is sufficient.
Thanks, I might give that a try. I have an IEC adaptor coming my way from fellow Audiogoner Jab. I'll have sometime this coming week. I can try my DCCA power cord with it.
By the way, I really appreciate the help you folks have provided. It reminds me why this is such a great site. Thanks.
I dremeled the case and put a 20 amp IEC on the chassis. I'm no fan of the small 15A IEC's especially for big current users like the 2500(A) 20A IEC's have about twice the contact surface area.

I noticed an improvement right away using my cord of choice: unshielded Richard Gray power cords.

ET