Plinius SB 300 v Plinius SA 250 MK IV

Have any of you heard first hand the SB 300 (V) the SA 250 MK IV?
I'm curious as to which amp you liked better and why?
What's the difference between the two as far as Sonics?
Thanks in advance, for those that can help me.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xlak

Showing 5 responses by lak

I had the SA 100 MK III, I liked it very much.
The SB 300 does everything better in a more extended way.
I recently upgraded to the Plinius SA Reference which is less than a week old and still breaking in. It’s amazing how much more detail there is in various passages now that were not auditable before.
Here’s the follow-up to my posts:
I received my Plinius SB-300 today. After setting it up and cleaning all contact areas with “Kontak” and then spraying with “ProGold G5”, I powered up the amp.
I was cautioned to give the BS-300 a good 30 days to reach it’s full potential (as was already my rule of thumb) I’ll leave the SB-300 on 24/7.
I think the Plinius SA-100 is a damn good amp whether running it in AB or A mode however for this comparison the SA-100 was warmed up and operating in A mode. The SB-300 was set up out of the box and I heard the following from the SB-300 as it’s been playing now for 2.5 hours and sounding improved the longer it plays.
The following are the immediate improvements:
1) More bass slam with a greater bass range.
2) More resolution overall.
3) Greater attack and improved details and imaging.
Associated equipment:
McIntosh MR 80 digital FM Tuner, Dodson DA-217 MK II D Dac, Sonic Euphoria passive preamp,
Wadia 20 Transport, Legacy Signature III speakers, Harmonix HS-101 GP interconnects, Harmonix HS-101 SLC speaker cables, Ridge Street Audio MSE Gen. II Digital Link Interconnect, Porter Port cryo’d Hubbell 8300 AC outlets, Electraglide Ultra Khan and Mini Kahn Plus power cords. My own power filtration system with two dedicated lines (pictures of power filtration system available on my system on Audiogon).
Best regards…
Although I haven't received any responses in this form I have received some emails and had some phone conversations with some audiophiles that have heard the Plinius SB-300 and the Plinius SA-250 MK I, II, III, and IV.
Bottom line is I have ordered a Plinius SB-300 and hope to have it in ten days.
If anyone is interested I have a Silver Plinius SA-100 in excellent condition with original manual and box that I will be selling (and listing on Audiogon along with a Forte 4A) as soon as I receive my new SB-300.
The Plinius is very tube-like. My reference system consists of the Cary 2A3 monoblocks.