Philips 963 Sound Modifications

I have read enough threads here and Audio Asylum to realized there are a lot of modifications going on with this model. Could someone recommend a modifier who concentrates on the CD/SACD sound rather than video. No interest in video or surround sound. Primary system is all tubes, Aronov amp, CJ preamp,etc. feeding Swans Allures speakers. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Jim
dobjim

Showing 1 response by lenardd

If you haven't purchased a 963a yet, I would look at the Pioneer 563a. I just got one modded by Alex Peychev (http://www.aplhifi.com/Pioneer563a.html)

Wow, what a unit...all for under $700 and it includes the player. It still isn't broken in but the sound is incredibley transparent and smooth....unlike the XA777ES and Consonance SACD 2.0 I had. Another thing I noticed is there is NO sibilance to my SACDs. This was a problem which I heard with the other two players (more or less).

Alex told me the player is actually is a better unit then the Phillips 963a. It offers a REALLY NICE transport/DSP assembly that is important for building on.

By the way, Alex couples the DAC with Lundahl transformers and replaces the opamp output stage with his discrete "no feedback" circuitry.