Paradigm 100 v.3 – B&W 804 dilemma… please help

I was almost set to buy Paradigm 100 v.3 after auditioning them (well I auditioned 60’s and just assumed that the 100s will be better) last week but auditioned some B&W 804’s speakers today and now I am CONFUSED!

The B&W 804’s sounded really good. Clear and smooth but was powered by an 80 watt amp whereas the Paradigms were powered by a 200 watt Sunfire amp. Thus, I need to ask for advice from you experts again. How good are the Paradigm 100 v.3 compared to B&W 804? Has anyone auditioned for these two speakers and which one did you end up getting… why? I read somewhere that the Paradigm 100 v.3 are as good as the high end B&W Nautilus line. Is this true?

Additional question… what system would be better for 70% movies 30% movies system
1) Paradigm 100’s and studio cc + 20 side surrounds + studio cc rear
2) B&W 804 fronts and nautilus HTM 2 center + B&W CM or 600 series bookshelf speakers for my surrounds and rear.

Finally… for people who are familiar with B&W. How big is the difference between 804 and CDM 9NT?

Thanks
doodleboytoyb266

Showing 2 responses by distortion

Not much difference from CDM-9NTs to N804, to my ear anyway.

I auditioned Studio 100s vs CDM-9NTs. B & W won by a wide margin, the gap would only be wider with the N804s.

My preference is 2 channel music performance though.

For the cost of one pair of N804s you can buy the entire Paradigm setup with several hundred left over. So maybe that will be a factor as well. Use the savings torwards a better TV/Projector???

B & W (used) 2400+700+400=3500
Pardigm(used) 1100+350+350=1800

I am partial to B & W. However my next mains are up in the air, maybe Dynaudio, Silverline, or maybe some more B & Ws. I will begin auditioning when I recover from my last purchase.

All this of course is just my humble opinion, their your ears get what you like best. I would add that Paradigm studio series are quite good for the money.
I agree with both Ohlala and Foreverhifi.

I listen to a lot of Classical as well and the B & W's do a great job. (I use CDM-9NTs)

It is curious that the B & W's are lower priced there, while the Paradigms are inflated. Seems that the distance from England or Canada isnt that big of a deal. Could be some trade tariffs or other factors in play that I am unaware of.

Anywho, if it is only a 500 difference from S100s to N804s, I can tell you simply, that the N804s would be in my trunk on the way home.

I was using a Rotel 976 and 1075 to power my CDM-9NTs, I liked the setup well.

Last but definately not least, these are just my opinions, you would be best served by letting your own ears decide.