Oppo Sonica DAC for streaming Tidal

Looking for experience with this unit.. Not that it's all about reviews, but I'm used to Oppo getting raves, and the Sonica seems to be getting negative to very positive professional and user reviews.
jl35
Over the many years I have been at this, nothing enters my main system until at least 200 hours are on it, (depending on the device/cable, 500 hours sometimes).  Yes, I know some of you don't believe in burn in, but I happen to...strongly.

I have a separate little system in one of my record rooms that I use strictly for burning in of gear/cable.

I did listen to my Sonica right out of the box in my main system and thought it was a little closed in and dry.  Took it out and returned it after 200 hours and WOW, did this little guy sound spectacular!  I left it in and did notice a very subtle change or two, until about the 500 hour mark, then it settled in quite nicely.

I highly recommend this DAC.  It's nice to find something that is not very expensive and performs well above that price point.  I've had tons of equipment through here and this doesn't happen very often
Hello joining late to the convo and I have a different type of question. Currently I stream my itunes lib over my network to the DAC over the ethernet line.  I was considering hooking my external hard drive directly into the DAC via USB.  My question is would I hear an improvement in overall sound? Opinions please!  I love this DAC I had a Sim Audio 100D, this for my system and ears opened things up and bit and the music sounds more controlled with imaging and depth.
I have the Sonica Dac (modded by Audiocom UK), I love it the sound is amazingly good and the unit has some great features. Although it is quite hard to fault there some caveats to consider as it is not quite futureproof
  • No support for gapless playback
  • No Digital XLR input
  • Not Roon Ready or likely to ever be (I have contacted OPPO directly a few times)
  • No firmware update since May 2016 ( only an update for iOS 11)
In 2018. I plan to upgrade to the PS Audio DSD DAC as this will provide all of the functionality and quality of sound to compliment my set up. 
Pre - MF Primo
Pwr -MF AMS50
CD - MF AMSCD
SPK Harbeth 5HLS 30th anniversary 
BD - Primare BD 32 mk I
PWR Con - Burmester 948
Mac Mini
Synology 6- bay nas 
AVA Media - RIP N PLAY nas

Netgear X10 router, GC110P Switch (X2)
FMC (from switch to a OPPO)