Opinions on a Threshold T-200

My local dealer just received one in trade. I am auditioning it this weekend. So far in has been very enjoyable. The speakers that I am using with it are Martin Logan Aerius I's, the preamp is a Forte 44. My current amp is a Forte 4.
jasman

Showing 2 responses by jmcgrogan2

I haven't heard the T200, but I own a T400, I'll assume their sonic signature is similar. The T400 is my current amp, I'm very happy with it. I've owned Classe, Coda, Aragon and Krell amps over the years and auditioned many others, I don't think solid state gets any better than this. The highs are what really set the Thresholds apart. I've heard amps with better bass, the T400 is tight and tuneful bass, but not as plentiful (or overdone, depending on your POV) as other amps I've heard. The midrange is excellent, but I've heard other SS amps with as good a midrange. The highs are where the Threshold seperates itself from the crowd. From the upper midrange on up, the Threshold is detailed, yet not fatiguing. This is not as easy a trick as it sounds. Most SS amps either roll off the highs to try and sound 'tubey' or have an etchy or grainy high end that makes me want to turn the music off after an hour or so (2 minutes with some amps). Detail, nuances, air, yet able to be listened to for hours on end without grinding of teeth.
So yes, you could say I think the Threshold T200 would be a good amp. How it would have enough power to handle your ML's I don't know. How big is your room? What is the sensitivity rating of the Aerius I's?

I hope this helps,
John
Congrats Jasman, I think you will be happy. That is a killer deal. I usually see them going for around $1400-$1800. Enjoy.

Regards,
John