Opinions on a Threshold T-200

My local dealer just received one in trade. I am auditioning it this weekend. So far in has been very enjoyable. The speakers that I am using with it are Martin Logan Aerius I's, the preamp is a Forte 44. My current amp is a Forte 4.
jasman
I haven't heard the T200, but I own a T400, I'll assume their sonic signature is similar. The T400 is my current amp, I'm very happy with it. I've owned Classe, Coda, Aragon and Krell amps over the years and auditioned many others, I don't think solid state gets any better than this. The highs are what really set the Thresholds apart. I've heard amps with better bass, the T400 is tight and tuneful bass, but not as plentiful (or overdone, depending on your POV) as other amps I've heard. The midrange is excellent, but I've heard other SS amps with as good a midrange. The highs are where the Threshold seperates itself from the crowd. From the upper midrange on up, the Threshold is detailed, yet not fatiguing. This is not as easy a trick as it sounds. Most SS amps either roll off the highs to try and sound 'tubey' or have an etchy or grainy high end that makes me want to turn the music off after an hour or so (2 minutes with some amps). Detail, nuances, air, yet able to be listened to for hours on end without grinding of teeth.
So yes, you could say I think the Threshold T200 would be a good amp. How it would have enough power to handle your ML's I don't know. How big is your room? What is the sensitivity rating of the Aerius I's?

I hope this helps,
John
The T series sounds great but is prone to breaking down!
I owned the T2 and T400 when Threshold was still in business. Both pieces went back to the factory 3 times each!
I've heard simular stories from other T series owners. Also;
The T2 malfunctioned on one occasion and sent a high DC
current to my snell Type B's and fried them. Threshold paid
for the repair. Beware. Joe
I TOO OWNED A FORTE 4A AND A THRESHOLD T400.BOTH ARE EXCELLENT AMPS WITH THE T400 HAVING MUCH MORE POWER.MY FAVORITE THRESHOLD AMPS WERE MY SA6E MONOBLOCKS WHICH I JUST SOLD TO A LOCAL FRIEND.THEY SOUNDED SIMILIAR TO THE T400 BUT ARE MUCH SMOOTHER.THEY DEFINE THE PHRASE OF NO LISTENING FATIQUE.I REPLACED THEM WITH CARY 805C MONOS.THE E SERIES WERE THE BEST OF THE THRESHOLDS.
T-200 can break down if you have a heavy load. Also, if your power line is bad, spikes and surges... I had one and my 125V (god knows why it's that high, ask ConEd) power voltage killed my amp which I was trying it with my Maggies... Oh also, the capacitor value is not high, dont expect it to have crazy power stored like Krell amps. They gets dry easily with my Maggies in high listening level.

Sound wise is great, smooth silky with tuby mid. Bottom can be lacking depend on your system, and the hi-freq can be a bit bright also depend on your system
When I heard it years ago it was very good, but if it breaks down the transistors for the T series are no longer made. Someone from Threshold has taken over the repair, but I understand they totally replace the output sections with other tranistors and it may be a little expensive. The older Threshold units before the T- series use standard parts and can more ealily be repaired. The -e series were excellent sounding true class A amps.
I ended up purchasing the amp. The dealer shot me a price I could not refuse, $1000.00.
Congrats Jasman, I think you will be happy. That is a killer deal. I usually see them going for around $1400-$1800. Enjoy.

Regards,
John
I purchased quite a few pieces of hifi over the years, so they decided to give me a great deal on the amp. In researching the amp, they usually are in that price range.
I'm running T200's as monoblocks and run them for hrs at a
time with no problems. This was there last reference set-up
used at shows untill the new company opened. Vintage Amp Repair Jon Soderberg has plenty of parts for the T series
amps though they seldom break....... Threshold was well
known for there quality and craftsmanship on all there
products. If anyone ever wants to sell their T200 you
have a buyer right here.No dryness powering my Aerial 10 t's
just great non--fatiguing sound,thats what it's all about
being able to listen with-out the ears bleeding.lol You
got a excellent deal...congrads and in my set-up I get BASS
Hifi111