Opinion - Every audiophile should build at least 1 pair of speakers

I think everyone who does this, even just once, would be forever changed and become an improved music listener as well as equipment hobbyist.

Whether you build a single driver speaker like the LM-1S or the 2-way desktop LM-1 (designs are free) or any other kit from

I think you would find yourself with very different biases and understanding of how parts interact, how drivers work, and how much a good pair of speakers should cost, and most likely you would have a different opinion about what a good speaker sounds like.

Would you build world reference speakers for $50 a pair? Not likely at all, but when I see audiophiles argue over thousands of dollars in speaker cables and interconnects, I think to myself, their opinions and biases about where to spend their time and money would be forever changed if they built but a single pair of speakers.

Also, of course, building speakers is fun as hell, and a great project to introduce kids to electronics. Especially girls, we need more girls who grow up to be speaker makers, amp designers and audiophiles!

Best,

Erik

erik_squires
As terry9 stated, building electronics and other DIY projects are fun and rewarding as well. To that effect, I just completed the DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaner as per BBtx on DIY Audio. I cleaned nearly a dozen records this afternoon, and it works great. There's no doubt my records are being cleaned better than they ever have, what a feeling.....

Regards,
Dan
Post removed 
Kosst,

You don’t have to design them from scratch. Almost any kit is going to be a bargain by comparison. :) Huge price range too.

Whatever you do, building an amp or speaker is a big learning opportunity, whether you design it all yourself, or solder a pre-designed kit.

Best,

E

Kosst---I can’t speak for all DIY loudspeaker kits, but in the GR Research products you are getting an advanced speaker designed by one of the best in the business. Danny Richie does outside work for non-DIY speaker companies, who pay him to design their crossovers and driver-compensation networks and filters, a particularly strong talent of his. The drivers that are included in his kits are designed by him, and are built to his specs. All you have to do is build the enclosure, or get one of appropriate internal volume from Parts Express or one of the cabinet makers who contribute to the AudioCircle GR Research Forum. Danny also offers economically-priced modification kits for built-to-a-price-point commercial loudspeakers, replacing their junk parts with audiophile-quality parts chosen for ultimate sound quality, and while he’s at it correcting the engineering "mistakes" (or bad choices/compromises) the designers of many mass-produced speakers often make.

Rather than being not as good as the same amount of money spent on a ready-made speaker, the GR products perform way above their price points. That’s why they have won awards at several of the RMAF Shows, and from professional reviewers. Richie has just received the first examples of the new ribbon tweeter he has designed and is having manufactured for him---an improved version of the great NEO 3 that was discontinued several years ago. This tweeter embarrasses those found in much more expensive loudspeakers, including some of the biggest names in hi-fi. Danny is a perfectionist with very high standards, and his speaker designs reflect that fact. Okay, I’m a DR fanboy; I’m far from alone!

Good morning, Eric...*S*  And y'all...

I think I blew past the 'pair' minimum awhile back.  And I couldn't agree more, although one needn't go to quite the extreme that I have.  It's very satisfying to listen to something that one has made with their own hands, even if it's just assembling a kit of parts.  One gets a different perspective of the mechanisms, the circuits, and the enclosure that recreates the recreated illusions that we enjoy....

It IS all a dance of sub-atomic particles at the end of the day, after all.... ;)