Not much discussion around MBL

Must not be alot of ownership by frequent posters.  They are pricey - I have  heard several models many times and have always been impressed - would love to own a pair.  Not sure I could commit.
pops
I've only heard them at a few different shows, where each time they played them too loudly. Only once did I think they might have been placed too far apart; with soundstage and imaging somewhat out of proportion and vague. Imaging might not be quite as specific as some, but is still very convincing. The bass region which to my ears consistently didn't sound coherently attached, but rather lagging the rest of the spectrum. But that rest of the spectrum is as good, if not better than anything else I've ever heard. Transients and decay appear and disappear with extreme delicacy that reminds me of the way a really fine balsamic dances on one's tongue.

I'd also add, as I believe I've mentioned before on the forum:

Understandably, especially given the very low sensitivity of the MBL speakers, they are regularly paired with huge current heavy SS amps.

But a number of folks have found success with tubes.  Best I ever heard the MBLs were at Michael Gindi's with tube amps (CAT if I remember).
Some have had success with VAC too, I believe.

In my case my CJ Premier 12s at 140w side have actually driven the MBL 121s splendidly.  (Though I don't listen at concert levels).

But I actually found one of the most magical combinations to be the 121s driven by my classic Eico HF-81, from the 60's, a mere 14W side of integrated amp tube glory.  The midrange, warmth and sparkle of the sound is mesmerizing, and the bass, while not quite as tight, goes deeper and the impression I get is the 121s becoming a sonically even larger speaker.

It's always fun to experiment.
Here's my two cents worth of my MBL experience.
From the first time I heard the Oscar Heil AMT 1's some 35+ years ago for my ears I have always been fond of electrostatic sound, fast, clear & articulate, and thats primarily what my systems have been built around.
Over that timeframe I have purchased & auditioned many rivals since my purchase of the AMT's and just could not match the spead and clarity of the AMT's until more recent years, the last 15 maybe.

A dealer in my area, United Home Audio (Greg Berone) had a new version of an AMT made by a French Company (PrecideSA) and they produced a pretty good speaker that was a lot more affordable under 10k,  while is was there UHA had a room setup with some MBL gear 126,111,101e's at that time,  also running all MBL source gear,  for my experience I dont think i have ever heard any audio system that came close to reproducing sound/music like the MBL system has.
My brotherin-law who also attended with me is a drummer in a band for more than 40 years now and was extremely impressed with the music being produced by the MBL's, as you know drummers don't bankroll a whole lot but he always mentions MBL everytime we talk about our systems and wants to own them when funding allows.
I have been fortunate enough to purchase a pair of MBL 116's and they sang for me amazingly, they reproduce effortlessly with a very wide open soundstage like I had never experienced in my dedicated room before until I came across Legacy Whispers about 8 years ago and now Whisper XD's which are more in my budget area,  I used Mcintosh 1201 monoblocs to push the 116's with no problems but my experience has been if you really want the best MBL can produce it will be with all MBL gear, they have a synergy that is unmatched.
I still have my my 116's to this day but are having great results with Legacy using the Zilica to control room affects, this is the only reason I have stuck with Legacy , and now they will soon release a new technology next year that will take the Whispers to yet another level, sorry I digressed to Legacy.

If you want to hear what the ultimate possibilities are with MBL IMHO the Buggatti of audio and you are considering spending this kind of money, I would strongly suggest you contact Greg and kick the tires, believe me,  its an experience you won't forget.
UHA (Greg) has sence set up a exclusive, dedicated room with MBL ONLY gear, you will have to schedule an appointment to audition this system.
Av showrooms recorded an audition on YouTube with UHA/Greg that is worth reviewing and even on a video recording this sound was different from most recordings you hear.

Hopefully this helps you get closer to the elusive quest?
@electrostaticnut

You said " I used Mcintosh 1201 monoblocs to push the 116's with no problems but my experience has been if you really want the best MBL can produce it will be with all MBL gear, they have a synergy that is unmatched". I'd have to agree with you wholeheartedly. That is the way they've always sounded best to me. I've heard the MBL 116 with McIntosh too and it just was not as good as an all-MBL system; and I do own McIntosh myself. But I also do aspire to own MBL in the future.
Post removed