Gents;

I am currently enjoying my re-start of analog and LP’s 

Pro-Ject Classic 
Hana SL
Musical Surroundings Phenomona II+
Anyway, I’m finding That I really enjoy the LP life 
I’ve found a system that is quiet, dynamic and detailed with no real drawbacks 

so, As usual 

If I wanted to take the next step,  in Analog playback , at what level and price should I be looking at 

jeff 

frozentundra
I have a Bardo w the upgraded SS power supply, Triplaner arm, Lyra Delos into a Herron. Importantly TT is on a HRS base engineered for it. You can see pics of that system in my virtual systems page, Casa Pacifica.
Neutral, musical, listen for hours.. 
as I said Brinkmann also builds a very fine tonearm…

somebody above gave you excellent advice on Well Tempered Amadeus, super musical. Not sure Basis makes something in your $ range, but they are excellent.

have fun

Encouraging a Person to expand on their Experiences of Listening to various TT Set Ups, produced from a Variety of Permutations of a TT's and Ancillaries is a worthy contrubution.
Encouraging the OP to consider investigating how a already owned TT can be worked with in the Home System, might add a little complexity, but it is a method carried out by most TT owners, who are seeking that little extra from their own set ups.

A Cartridge Type used on a particular Set Up when well matched to the Ancillaries can in certain cases experienced, be a complete let down.

I have been to arranged meetings where the theme has been to have a selection of Cartridges lined up on exchangable MS-9 Headshells.
The only change in the Operational Parameters on the TT being the Cartridge.
Different Phonostages and SUT's have been available to see if a improvement can be made to a interface within the system.

My experience has been there are Cartridges that I don't believe underperformed in any way, their presentation has been consitent in each Audition.
The lesson learned for myself, is that there are certain Cartridges when used on a TT and Tonearm of my choice do not deliver in a manner that I consider to suit my preferences.
As a result of my Participation I use a Cartridge Design that was made known from my experiencing the Comparisons.

To be able to make such an assessment, doeas take a little foot work.
It has required making an arrangement to meet with other like minded enthusiasts, travel a little, spend time in good company and participate in a enjoyable experience of Auditions/Demonstrations.

What did I do? I did not remain insular and rest on my laurels about the position I had attained.
I humbled myself and drew on the experience of others, who had attained far more experience in such matters than myself.
The end result of such a undertaking in terms of lessons learned about the Sound Quality of a TT Set Up, with a variety of permutations has been very insightful. 

What did I not do, I did not use my eyes as my guide, I left the Lure of Bling behind as a suggestion of being Quality a long time ago.
This was replaced by a much more beneficial method of investigation, where my ears have been depended on.

As an Audiophile, I work on the Basis that I am in pursuit of Sound, and the more endearing the Sound and Satisfying to my own unique preferences the better.
To suggest to a OP with a inquiry to make the time to rely on their own ears to help them learn the Varieties of Sound that can be perceived from receiving a Audition / Demonstration of a TT Set Up.

Is certainly not misguiding them. 

In addition to naimfan's suggestions, try to hear the Roksan Xerxes and Vertere turntables. 

Older Xerxes are available used at very reasonable prices and will knock spots off Project and Rega decks. 
frozentundra, I think the Brinkmann Bardo is a beautiful design, it also is not suspended and has a huge magnet right under your cartridge, a very sensitive magnetic device. Ask Mark Dohmann why he does not use a direct drive motor on his Helix. Please watch this. It has some very basic turntable science explained beautifully. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rgK0YMsJXM
At or below $10k I would encourage anyone to take a long look at the Sempersonus TE-2. Innovative yet simple drive system, very flexible and dead quiet. I’m using a 12” Raven arm but one could strap on an OL Conqueror or Encounter for much less and do nearly as good. Also found the Charisma Signature One which will compete with anything under $10k but retails below $4k. I replaced the stock feet with RevOpods and use an LP-1 weight. Really extraordinary setup that delivers musically. Sempersonus’ launch was hindered by COVID but as the world comes back online I anticipate great things for Paulo and company including US distribution, reviews, etc. I have no affiliation just a very happy camper!