Next Phonostage

I'm contemplating a new Phonostage to replace my Rowland Cadence. One of the driving factors is wanting multiple inputs for multiple tonearms.

My system is currently: TW-Acustic Raven AC-1/TW10.5 tonearm/Dynavector XV-1s cart with Rowland Synergy IIi preamp, Rowland 302 power amp and Avalon Acoustics Eidolon Diamond loudspeakers.

My listening tastes are everything except rap/hip-hop. Probably 50% rock/pop, 40% Jazz and 10% Classical.

My audio characteristics preferences I value include really black backgrounds, air around images, extension and musicality. Dynamics are also a plus.

My contenders are currently:

Audio Research Ref 2 SE Phono - rave reviews, most say this gives you best attributes of solid state and tube sound combined, might be a natural transition into tubes for me

Thoress Phono Enhancer - also known as TW Acustic Phonostage; might mate well with my analog front end, flexibility in dialing in bass, mids, highs, customizable sound

Manley Steelhead - heard this in a friend's system, very nice sound, very flexible, did hear a it of tube noise

Can anyone who owns one of these phonostages or has listening experience with them give me some input and advice on what would work best with my system?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations from the audiogon community.
philb7777

Showing 4 responses by lotus340r

Hi, I recommend the Allnic H3000. I used to use a Tron and now use the 3000. I have heard many others along the way like the Arc ref2, the Whest SE, the Rhea and TE SRX. The allnic is the best i've personally ever heard. I also own a Raven AC.
Hi Phil, in some ways I found them similar. Both sound natural and liquid but with no compromise on speed, attack or dynamics. The strong suit of the ARC was the width of its soundstage (not that the Allnic is lacking in that area !) but I preferred the Allnic as the sound seemed a lot more holographic and instruments had greater density, fullness and presence... it's a very sumptous seductive sound that you very quickly get lost in and it seems to envelope you from all sides. I preferred the perceived build quality as well. It's very very quiet in my system. The ARC is good too, perhaps more neutral if that's your thing but for me not as enjoyable and not the sort of sound I aim for. I have also heard exceptional things from friends/associates about the Thrax Orpheus, Ypsilon and the TE Mastergroove but the former two are too expensive for me and the latter is solid state.

As for tonearms I use the Reed 3p (used to have the Raven 10.5) and carts XV1-s, Shilabe and Puritas.
The Tron I had was the entry version. It was a little noisy and had no provision for adjustment of any kind but the sound was the right sort of sound. A little soft but definitely musical with good tone, texture and natural dynamics. I know someone who owns the more expensive GT version and is very pleased with it and it's this model which would perhaps be more the equal of stages like the ARC/H3000/Mastergroove etc. The lack of adjustability prevented me pursuing the Tron route any further though.

I have heard a steelhead but in an unknown system so wouldn't want to comment too much. If you search on here however, the whatsbest forum and also audio aficianados there a few people who have put down their thoughts on the manley vs the allnic 1500 and 3000 models.
Phil, I have just seen your system and that you use Avalaon (same as me). The Allnic with the avalon is mindboggling, it's like a double dose of holography. My suggestion is for you to demo as many stages as you can but make sure you include the 3000 as it will sing massively in your system.