Need Preamp Advice ARC VT100 mk2

Hey 'Goners!

OK - I'm fishing again for advice. I'm running Proac 2.5's with an ARC VT100 mk2. I've gotten recommendations from two sources that running this amp with balanced inputs will make more of what it's got to give (an opinions on that?). So, I'm looking for a good match. I'll be playing more digital than vinyl, but definitely some of both. Cary CD308 and Linn LP12. I'd like to spend around $1500 on a preamp with SE and balanced out, a volume remote, and hopefully a phono section. Is that too much to ask? Please, your ideas...

One option I have is to send my Rogue 66 preamp in, upgrade it to a Magnum, and have them put in Jensen transformers to add balanced outputs. That would only cost me $450. Whaddy'a think???

Thanks.
peter_s

Showing 1 response by jafox

I suspect that making use of the amp's balanced inputs would only be realized if you use a truly balanced (+/- phases) from your preamp. To add an extraneous transformer or phase splitter circuit, like so many products do, to achieve the 2 phases is only going to cause loss and coloration.

I have often found the preamp (line stage) to be the far more critical link in the system than the amp, and even the speakers, when it comes to the magic and musicality. You have put so much money into these areas but severely compromised this all important preamp stage.

If you're looking for a truly balanced preamp, line stage and or phono, and you like the ARC sound, the best choice would be to find an LS5 MK II, which has 30db gain and is often for sale in the $1700 or so range. Every now and then the matching PH2 is available and this is a killer unit. I just sold mine to change to the BAT VK-P10 and these two units were so very very close.

John