Most Important, Unloved Cable...

Ethernet. I used to say the power cord was the most unloved, but important cable. Now, I update that assessment to the Ethernet cable. Review work forthcoming. 

I can't wait to invite my newer friend who is an engineer who was involved with the construction of Fermilab, the National Accelerator Lab, to hear this! Previously he was an overt mocker; no longer. He decided to try comparing cables and had his mind changed. That's not uncommon, as many of you former skeptics know. :)

I had my biggest doubts about the Ethernet cable. But, I was wrong - SO wrong! I'm so happy I made the decision years ago that I would try things rather than simply flip a coin mentally and decide without experience. It has made all the difference in quality of systems and my enjoyment of them. Reminder; I settled the matter of efficacy of cables years before becoming a reviewer and with my own money, so my enthusiasm for them does not spring from reviewing. Reviewing has allowed me to more fully explore their potential.  

I find fascinating the cognitive dissonance that exists between the skeptical mind in regard to cables and the real world results which can be obtained with them. I'm still shaking my head at this result... profoundly unexpected results way beyond expectation. Anyone who would need an ABX for this should exit the hobby and take up gun shooting, because your hearing would be for crap.  
douglas_schroeder
Notice this person offering an e-z $20,000 hasn't posted there name or any other details this is like the Nigerian scam they are out to get your money identity personal information and access to your bank account and other personal data. I am sure that almost everyone here understands that but I am posting this info anyway. Most likely as I have already said it is a winkley dinkler juvenile posting from mommy's basement but even these kids can cause you harm. The best thing is to INGORE these trolls you put yourself at great peril if you seek to ingage with them walk away now!
The Amazing Randi ran the cable scam with Stereophile magazine some years ago but at least he was talking real money back then - a million bucks, not some chump change. And he was more entertaining to boot. 

I check in periodically, but I have other projects running, too. Some of what follows may be redundant, but I'm not going back to research it.

I understand both sides of this debate. I was at one time more in sympathy with the objectivists, but I realized the issue would not be resolved by merely taking a position and defending it. I chose to do some work in system building and comparisons. That was the first level of confirmation of the efficacy of cables.

My first comparison was about 30 years ago when I bought some heavy gauge cable and purposed them for speaker cables. The comparison between lamp cord type wire and a heavier gauge cable was easily heard. Not much expectation bias in that test, as the cable was not expensive.

Years later I estimate that I tied up from $4-5K in purchasing used cables before reviewing and compared them. It was before the advent/popularity of the Cable Company, so I had to buy the cables individually to assemble full sets of a certain brand, a real pain. I ended up with three sets to compare. I tried to get them as affordably as possible so I could resell the "losers". That was enough to once for all lay to rest any doubt about the importance of cables. I would not build nearly as good systems had I not done that work.

The second level, the opportunity to more objectively put this all to the test came with the review of the Audio by Van Alstine ABX Comparator. I knew that it could potentially blow up my theories of cables, but if I were able to pass ABX it would be the icing on the cake, so to speak. So, I did it. I passed, including passing ABX with cables (Now, if you don't believe me at on this point, then we truly do not have much common ground to discuss this topic). I admit that it took a great deal of concentration to accurately hear the differences. However, the results were definitive. The only components I was not able to pass testing were the level matched amps. Following up I found out that my results mirrored Van Alstine's findings.

So, the issue is settled in my mind. I do not think that argument or challenges will lead to any resolution. I suggest that for those who are interested the ABX Comparator is a good way to put it to the test. If it had an Ethernet testing capability I would surely try it. I do not know if I would pass, but it would be fascinating to try.

Now, if that is not enough for some people, so be it. As far as I'm concerned I have both experiential and experimental evidence to support my activities of system building. If you disagree, that's fine, have at it building systems with your own methodology. The irony in all this is that neither methodology in system building assures that a great sounding audio system will be built. You people are going at it as though if one philosophy of system building is proven to be true that assures you will end up with a better sounding rig. I find that to be far from assured.

Arguments are happening right now with a discussion on bass performance in another thread. People seem to be overlooking a simple, but profound factor while they attempt to pound the other side into submission. I  used to argue more about such things. Now, I make my point, and if it's not sufficient, so be it. I get tired of spending time at a computer on discussions which will have so little importance in the long run. 

Shadorne, you're wrong about your DAC.  :) 

wgutz: If this "thread is dead" to you, please "unfollow" it so you do not have to keep repeating the same thing.

geoff: with all due respect, could you keep your posts to a reasonable length?  Thanks.
Post removed