MoFi controversy

I see this hasn't been mentioned here yet, so I thought I'd put this out here.  Let me just say that I haven't yet joined the analog world, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

It was recently revealed that Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs one step LPs are being cut from digital masters (DSD) rather than being straight analog throughout the chain.

Here is one of the many Youtube videos that discusses it

To me, it seems that if MOFI is guilty of anything, it's "deception by omission."  That is, they were never open about the process and the use of digital in the chain. 

One thing to mention is that hardly anyone is criticizing the sound quality of these LPs, even after this revelation.  Me personally, I wouldn't spend over one hundred dollars for any recording regardless of the format.

ftran999

Dear @ftran999  :  Thank's for your thread because it's a true fact confirmation that in the last 10+ years digital already outperformed the analog " dinosaur ".

Analog lovers ( I'm one. ) normally say analog still is at the top and all are wrong because there is no single fact/objective that can prove it when digital have a lot of facts that proves its superiority and this MoFi issue is one of those facts.

" To me, it seems that if MOFI is guilty of anything, it's "deception by omission."

Well in reality not even that. For years other LP recording manufacturers used digital sources and for some of those years the analog lovers not even took in count ! !  but " die for analog ", go figure.

"  I wouldn't spend over one hundred dollars..." certainly me neither when you can have by almost free been digital.

Regads and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

IMO, the $125 price tag is ridiculous. Many complain about the "Hot Stampers" price. But I have seen no complaints about the absurd price on these albums. I realize that a business HAS to make a profit to survive. But this seems like gouging to me. However if they came with a 30 day trial, I would try one just to see how it compares. But quite honestly, most of my records sound excellent now. But I'm always willing to learn. I'm not sure I want to spend $125 on an album for that education. Besides, I can't afford them as a diet anyway

I don't get using digital in analog chain, much prefer my vinyl analog mastered. To pay these prices for analog/digital hybrid doesn't make sense. Get a real nice streaming/cd setup and hear these recordings with both excellent sound quality and at reasonable cost.