Micro Seiki, or TW AC-1

I'm trying to decide between Micro Seiki RX 5000 and TW AC-1.
They are approx. the same price used (about $10K)
Both are belt drive.
Unfortunately, I don't have a first hand experience with either of the tables.
You can see my current set-up in my system page.
The reason, I want to make a change from DD TT to belt drive is just to try a different approach.
Also, I have a feeling, that the bass would be one of the areas, where MS and TW might have an edge over my current DD Technics SP-10 MkII
My endeavor into analog is fairly new, so I'm not sure what my final choice in analog would be, unless I try it in my own system.
What I'm really interested in is the following:
Sonic differences b/w MS, TW and Technics SP-10 MkII
Reliability
Service availability.
maril555

Showing 10 responses by philb7777

I have a friend with a Micro Seiki. Wonderful table but it does need tweaking and labor - almost constantly. He has the table down well over 50% of the time as he waits for parts, etc. Finding parts are becoming an issue for him.

The TW AC-1 is a table that I own (owner discretion here!). It is a fantastic table. Labor free once set up. It is a high mass table, tons of tight deep bass compared to my VPI Aries 3 I owned before. It is also very delicate and incredibly detailed. I love this table and you can always upgrade it with extra motors, tonearms, feet, etc as you would like.

Highwater Sound is the importer for TW Acustic in the US and are fantastic to deal with whether you purchased new from them or bought used. TW is a great company and are always back-ordered, so their business is strong.

Don't see how you could go wrong with a TW AC-1.
In fairness to the MS RX-5000, the one I tried is stock with no mods except for a few replaced parts in the motor. Don't have specific details about it as the table is borrowed. I'm actually returning it this evening. It was fun to have it while I did.
Goldenearguy speaks wisely -

all designs are compromises

nothing is perfect

people can only draw and share info from own personal experiences

$10K is a nice chunk of change

No matter what - make all attempts to listen to each table you are considering, even if in different systems in different rooms.
Some of you guys would never make it in the medical world where patient's lives depend on large, randomized controlled trials, objectivity and leaving egos at the door.

Geez, this is a great hobby for music lovers. Everyone can't be right, and everyone can't be wrong. That's what makes it fun. Let's keep it fun.
For what it's worth, the speed stability on my TW AC-1 is rock solid using the Feikert Adjust program. Including a center weight and stylus drag as factors. Same for 33 and 45 rpm. I'm using a dedicated 20A circuit and a Cardas Golden Ref power cable though.
Maril555, agree with you on our micro-sample size. I just long for more objectivity and no personal attacks or pompous attitudes on these boards. Makes them less fun, less informative.

Good luck on your search - you probably can't go wrong in either direction - the Micro-Seiki or a TW table. Both are in the 1%.
Rsf507,

I think you will find quite a few TW owners who haven't experienced those issues. I can tell you I have the blackest backgrounds, lowest noisefloor, great tight bass and shoe-tapping rhythm and pace. Great depth, sound staging, air and musicality without sacrificing detail.

Why the disparate opinions? Not sure. I wold refute the idea that pleased TW owners don't have critical ears, or experience in analong with other analog rigs to compare to. I do think indeed its system matching, rooms, and arms and carts and phono stages that can also affect results.

I'm extrememly happy with my TW AC-1 and TW10.5 arm with a dynavector XV-1s and Rowland Cadence phono.

My friend let me borrow his MS - 5000 this weekend as the result of this thread. Frankly, it's speed control is worse than the TW and noise floor is much more noisy than the TW. That being said it is built like a tank, but no better tan the TW. I'm not sure if his motor is functioning properly as he as had issues with it to be fair. But in my room, in my system, with my listening preferences, the TW is the better table - FOR ME.

I'm not saying that the TW AC-1 would be a better table for everyone. Listening tastes, rooms and other associated equipment may interact differently.

Thus far in my room I've had a a Linn LP12, Denon 45P, VPI Classic 1, VPI Aries, VPI Aries 3, Audiomeca Romance, MS 5000, and the TW AC-1.
Pcosta,

Great points about the TW North American importer. I think it can't be better described than by this link:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/high-water-sounds-and-ithe-architecture-lossi

I love the last quote by Jeff:

While the music washed over the still room, Catalano opened his eyes and motioned toward the system: “Who gives a shit about all this stuff,” he said, holding the LP sleeve in the air, “if you can’t have this?”

Well said, Jeff. Well said. They don't get more genuine than him.
Maril555,

If you ever wind up somewhere near Tulsa, Ok, I can arrange both the RX-5000 and AC-1 in the same system for audition. It's a long way from Philly though. Just don't know where your travels take you.

You are correct. As dealer networks and audio shops continue to shrink, the day and age of the dealer/distributor/importer of certain lines make things exclusive to one source for purchase new or audition. Makes it difficult.