McIntosh MC 275 Mark VI

I own a McIntosh C-2300 Preamplifier, which is an all tube design and Harbeth SHL5 speakers

1. Has anyone paired this with a Mcintosh MC 275 Mark V or VI amplifier, and what are your impressions?
2. Suggestions or other stereo tube power amplifiers to pair with the McIntosh C-2300. Looking for some actual experience that someone may have had.  Prima Luna, ZOTL, Rogue, VTL, BAT?
128x128drghosh
I've owned both MC275 MKV and Harbeth SHL5's, although not together.  

The MC275 MKV was one of my top 5 favorite amps.   Highly recommended.  

I think pairing the Harbeth's with the MKV and C-2300 would be a very nice combo.   More than enough power. 

The MC275MK VI is said to have a different sound and they seem to get turned over quite a bit, so I'd stay away from the MKVI. 
I heard the SLH5+ speakers sound very good with a Conrad Johnson tube amp (I think it was a Classic 62 amp), a Synthesis A100 (integrated tube amp) and what I think was a rebuilt Western 124 amp.  The speaker struck me as being a bit on the finicky side--it had to be set up just right and with the right complement of gear--as compared to other more easy going models in the Harbeth lineup.  When set up right, it sounds very good.  In other words, I think you can only make a choice by a direct audition, preferably involving a dealer who will let you take the amp home.

My only experience with the current MC275 was not a good one.  In the system I heard it in, it sounded lifeless and a touch mushy--sort of a caricature of what some people think is the "tube sound."  I suppose it could be improved with different tubes, but, it was something that was turned in on trade and was soon to be sold on Audiogon, so nothing was done to optimize the sound; still, I am reasonably certain it was not the sound I like.
I too, was an owner of the Mark VI and I liked it for about a month.  One day I turned it on and a tube blew out.  It was perhaps the third or fourth time I had used it - I still had the box next to my cabinet. 

I called McIntosh directly and related the situation and they simply stated that they don’t manufacture tubes.  I replied that the tubes were all screened “McIntosh” so...

Now I realize that tubes can blow, but I’d never before had this occur on any other tube amp.  I bought it new from Stereo Exchange in NYC. 
Dave, the owner intervened between us and furnished me with a replacement tube.  I sold the amp a month later. 

I liked the amp itself, it didn’t have that textbook McIntosh sound which to me was a good thing.  And it certainly was pretty as hell. I see they now have a killer hybrid integrated for $3500 - 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms and, I think, 140 into 4 ohms.  Might make me forgive them their cavalier customer support...