McIntosh MC 275 Mark VI

I own a McIntosh C-2300 Preamplifier, which is an all tube design and Harbeth SHL5 speakers

1. Has anyone paired this with a Mcintosh MC 275 Mark V or VI amplifier, and what are your impressions?
2. Suggestions or other stereo tube power amplifiers to pair with the McIntosh C-2300. Looking for some actual experience that someone may have had.  Prima Luna, ZOTL, Rogue, VTL, BAT?
128x128drghosh

Showing 1 response by oblgny

I too, was an owner of the Mark VI and I liked it for about a month.  One day I turned it on and a tube blew out.  It was perhaps the third or fourth time I had used it - I still had the box next to my cabinet. 

I called McIntosh directly and related the situation and they simply stated that they don’t manufacture tubes.  I replied that the tubes were all screened “McIntosh” so...

Now I realize that tubes can blow, but I’d never before had this occur on any other tube amp.  I bought it new from Stereo Exchange in NYC. 
Dave, the owner intervened between us and furnished me with a replacement tube.  I sold the amp a month later. 

I liked the amp itself, it didn’t have that textbook McIntosh sound which to me was a good thing.  And it certainly was pretty as hell. I see they now have a killer hybrid integrated for $3500 - 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms and, I think, 140 into 4 ohms.  Might make me forgive them their cavalier customer support...