mcintosh laserdisc player MLD 7020

Hello all, I am have just finally after many years bought a great laserdisc player that i wanted in '97 but could not afford.. the Mcintosh MLD-7020 Laserdisc player.. i know it is supposed to have awesome audio and video.. and based on a Pioneer CLD-97 (which is still considered one of the best LD players made) i was able to get this Mcintosh and it will be delivered in about a week.. I have read many times that it was not tweaked but have also heard that it was tweaked in the power supply and the DACS.. if anyone owns one .. does anyone know if Mac did anything to it.. ? Regardless.. i cannot wait to hook it up and watch my LD's on it.. I am retiring my old aging Yamaha CDV-870 LD player to the bedroom.. thanks for any info anyone has on this Mac.. !

Mike
audiomike1

Showing 3 responses by rwwear

The only modification I know of is the addition of an AC-3 RF out for Dolby Digital. There may be others.
The sound of a good laserdisc is hard to beat by any other source. It is analog.
The Dolby Digital or AC-3 signal from laserdisc is an RF signal. But compare Pink Floyd's The Wall on laserdisc to the DVD version in regular stereo, the LD is much better in dynamics, bass and soundstage. The picture isn't that great though. I have the HLD-X9 from Japan, I had the 7020 also.