Mcintosh C220 pre

I purchased a C220 yesterday to run my MC352 and have a question or two. How do you burn this unit in properly? Do I leave it on with a CD signal feeding it for a few days? Can I leave my power amp off? What can I expect in terms of sound when it is broken in? Will there be more detail, better imaging etc??? Also should I have some spare tubes around? If so, which tubes do you recommend that could add a bit of upper mid detail? (I have read the C220 can be a little lean in dealing with those frequencies)

I look forward to any opinions!!!
Thanks........
nuguy
Well, you people are right again. I am guessing I have around 50-60 hours on this unit and what a transformation. It openned up quite nicely with much more detail.

Thanks again!!!!!
Turn it on. Start listening to music. The next day, do the same thing. The next day, do it again. Presto! Broken in. Then, relax, enjoy a wonderful piece of equipment
that only a fortunate few in the whole worlds population are privliged to listen to and own. Congratulations.

PS. Your McIntosh dealer should be able to answer all your questions also........
My C220 is has just about 50 hours on it and it keeps getting better. I am most amazed at the sound stage and the total disapperance of my speakers in the room. Even off access imaging remains to a large degree. I don't know what fairy dust they put in this unit but I like it! Don't get me wrong I have owned Audio Research, Cary, Audable Ill. and a myriad of other products and have never felt the love like the C220/275IV combo. Some may call these colored but I call them them musical. I broke mine in while while listening to my TV though my system. Before you know it you will have a 1,000 hours on it. This is a unit that you want to listen to and just enjoy.
you made a great choice!!!!!!!!!!!....just settle into what you have and your going to be amazed at how good that piece is....i'm sure your already smiling
I have no tuner at this time.
I had a 1 week trial on a Cary slp2002 and found it much more detailed than the 220. On the other hand I found the 220 to have MUCH better imaging and allowed more flexibility in speaker placement. Long story short, imaging, fully functioning remote, auto biasing tubes and Mc-MC synergy were the deciding factors in my decision. I will wait for breakin, time will tell, it may open up nicely.
Another thing I must consider is my speakers (Tyler PD80s). I am thinking of getting into something a little more refined.
Anyway I am happy with the purchase and believe I made the right choice.

Thanks for the advice everyone and have a great day!
Definately wait until you know what you have before tube rolling. You will stagger around aimlessly otherwise. There is no rush - only time to learn. Take it easy and enjoy your excellent preamp.

Arthur
Congrats on your purchase. On my C2200 it seemed like after just 10 hrs it was nice and then it just gets a little better and better. I wouldn't think about rolling tubes until you've broken it in and got acquainted with its sound "in your room with your speakers", then ask for some advice one what you want to enhance. Do you have a tuner you could use instead of the CD?
Based on my experience with a C2200, break-in should not be a major issue. I left mine running with a CD on repeat and the amps off for several hours per day over the course of a week (plus normal listening time). Preamp tubes last a long time. Some users enjoy tube rolling and find compelling differences. Others do not. You might log on to discussion boards at AudioKarma.org where you will find lots of varying opinions on this very topic. Have fun with it. Skip