Mcintosh C220 pre

I purchased a C220 yesterday to run my MC352 and have a question or two. How do you burn this unit in properly? Do I leave it on with a CD signal feeding it for a few days? Can I leave my power amp off? What can I expect in terms of sound when it is broken in? Will there be more detail, better imaging etc??? Also should I have some spare tubes around? If so, which tubes do you recommend that could add a bit of upper mid detail? (I have read the C220 can be a little lean in dealing with those frequencies)

I look forward to any opinions!!!
Thanks........
nuguy

Showing 3 responses by nuguy

I have no tuner at this time.
I had a 1 week trial on a Cary slp2002 and found it much more detailed than the 220. On the other hand I found the 220 to have MUCH better imaging and allowed more flexibility in speaker placement. Long story short, imaging, fully functioning remote, auto biasing tubes and Mc-MC synergy were the deciding factors in my decision. I will wait for breakin, time will tell, it may open up nicely.
Another thing I must consider is my speakers (Tyler PD80s). I am thinking of getting into something a little more refined.
Anyway I am happy with the purchase and believe I made the right choice.

Thanks for the advice everyone and have a great day!
Well, you people are right again. I am guessing I have around 50-60 hours on this unit and what a transformation. It openned up quite nicely with much more detail.

Thanks again!!!!!