marantz sa-11 or cary 306 sacd

I am looking to upgrade my Sony xa 777es. And think these are the 2 players I am zeroing in on. Does anyone have experience with either or both? Any thoughts or opinons would be greatly appreciated!
larryrosen
Sony has not made an SACD player that did redbook well. Even my XA9000ES, which supposedly upsamples the redbook data to DSD, sounds better through a DAC. I would guess that you'll be happier with the redbook play with either the Marantz or the Cary. (Or, if you don't mind having two players, I hear the Rega Apollo is the redbook player to hear these days.). I wouldn't recommend mods to the XA777ES if improved redbook play is your goal. I had another Sony modded, and the sound was definitely improved, but retained the same sonic character.

Cheers.
Thank you Tom.

I lookoimg to upgrade the redbook sound of the unit. Their is such a huge difference, that I have begun to question the Sony's redbook playback. I love the sacd sound, however.
my 2 cents... I heard the SA-11 and I actually prefered the older SA-14. I thought the SA-11 sounded too laid back for me. I've not heard the Cary, but people are saying mostly great things about it.

Question: What do you think of the XA777ES? If it's a little bit too cold or analytical for you, than the SA-11 may be the right direction for you. But try to hear the 14, too.

For reference, I actually prefer the more analytical sound of the Sonys (I own the SCD-XA9000ES).

Modding your XA777ES may also be a good, cost-effective, upgrade option. Look into it.

Cheers.

Tom