Looking for a great arm that is low maintenence

I ordered a Sota Cosmos turntable and am going to get a ZYX Airy 3 cartridge. I am looking for a great arm that is not high maintenence or finiky. I don't want to have to adjust it with each playing, or to add oil every time I use it.

The arms I'm interested in right now are the TriPlaner, Graham 2.2, or the SME IV, but I'm open to suggestions. The new arm with replace a Rega RB 900.

Give me your what and why...
128x128nrchy

Showing 22 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

Chang,everyone is entitled to their opinion,and I'm not going to come off as the Arm Police(re the 1.5t vs 2.2).If they like it ,fine with me.My friend went from the 1.5t to the 2.2 and we felt the 2.2 was significantly more revealing.Just our opinions.Best luck!
Nrchy,I have a COSMOS Series III,that I have run a Triplanar,SME-V,and Graham 2.2 on.I have also used,on the Sotas,numerous Koetsus and the Transfiguration Temper and Transfig-V on.

I know you are an experienced hobbyist,so my first response,in keeping with your sensibilities,is for you to use the "FORCE",in helping you make a decision.You're own intuition will help,as you are no beginner,and nobody can "really" fill that educated void!

Now,down to business.I LOVE the Graham,as you may already know.Very versatile arm.I like it ALOT better than my Triplanar,or my SME-V,but that is only my taste.Others will have their own set of emotions,and voice a differing,and valid opinion,as well.Don't listen to them,just listen to ME.JUST KIDDING!!!Hey,you said you liked humor!

The Triplanar,that I had was not a good match for me at the time.Not the problem of the arm,but my fercrucchena(ATTN moderators-a yiddish expression,not slang) dealer!Even that being the case the 2.2 is a highly evolved cartridge carrier.To me,and my sensibilities,it is MUCH MORE "dial in" friendly,and precise than the Triplanar.Not close,really,and I know I'll get bombed for that one!Remember it's just my opinion!!!The fluid etc,is really no big deal.

The SME was a nice arm,but too many hobbyists feel it is a bit bass heavy,and besides,SME is a HUGE company,so give you're money to someone who can probably appreciate it.Just kidding,again!Also,the SME unlike the Triplanar,and especially the 2.2 cannot have it's VTA adjusted during play,in a repeated fashion.The SME,can be lowered in VTA,once before bringing the arm back up.I don't feel that offers the "precise" fine tuning(which is really important,BTW)of having it available,"on the fly"!

Now for the FLY in the ointment!!Believe me if I were you,and had not made a buying decision yet(and although I prefer the 2.2 over the other 2 arms),remember this is just my opinion,I would HAVE TO look at the Schroeder line of arms.

I'll tell you why,and think about this!The Schroeder's have NO bearing,other than magnetic repulsion.This obliviates any potential resonance characteristic,and would have to create a very open and relaxed sound.Not as relaxed as you look like on your motorcycle(in the picture,shown)but close.Add to that a one piece cable network,choice of armwand material,to match cartridge characteristics,and,on paper,looks like a no brainer,for careful consideration.

My weakness here,is the fact that I have never heard a Schroeder,but it has a very loyal fan base(sort of like Harly,get it?).

In all seriousness,you will be happy with any of these great arms.I love my 2.2,and can argue it's superiority over the Triplanar,or SME,but it is still my opinion only!

As for the Schroeder,well it is here that you need to look to the "Light Side of the Force",you're own common sense.It has the potential to match the incredible relaxed and open sound of a great Air Bearing design(of which I'm intimately familiar,on a friend's set-up),but without the pumps and hoses,due to it's unique design.

You are in a great position,and will love your sound,ultimately!!Make the choice that best serves you,and do some homework.Forget all us experts.We really cannot tell you a thing about what "YOU" should like.Best of luck!!
I hope I didn't go too overboard with my Triplanar "knock".Understand that due to my crappy dealer(of the time),I took a 1500.00 dollar loss,after spending two years trying to get it to perform, as it should have.I probably am still suffering a good deal of angst,from the experience.Not soon forgot;and the industry wonders why so many dealers are losing business to the internet!!
Larry,really great to hear from ya!I didn't know you had a two arm table/set-up.Keeping the 2.2,and comparing it to your future(I do wish you'd do it already)Schroeder will,obviously interest me,greatly!

The Triplanar I had was a few years ago,so not the latest.I have seen the newer one,and my problems with it don't seem to be solved.These are ergonomic,and will still play a part in maximizing performance.I "HATE" the fact that there is not a counterweight screw in type setting(the 2.2 has extremely tightly toleranced counterweighted settings,as you know),and mine don't move over time!After all the hard work I've recently done,and getting a really good digital stylus force guage,I don't like the "hunt and seek", "push/twist and pull" way of moving the counterweight on the TRI.I have found a BIG difference in my cartridge performance,when experimenting with various settings ranging in 1/100 of a gram increments.Finding the exact spot is a breeze with the 2.2,as you know.The TRI took me forever.If anyone thinks that this level of accuracy is no big deal,they're deluding themselves,on a high performance system.

I mean I'm sure I could have dialed it in as precisely with my TRI,but I could have flown down to you,had a listening session,and come back already,with the time that would have been spent fotzing around with that.The NEW ownership really does not care,as I've(very respectfully) asked him about this.

While I'm at it,the "Side Screw" that tightens vta may be acceptable(you tighten it by your finger),but there is no way it can have the solid integrity of the "Ring Clamp" full base circumference tightness of the 2.2.Aside from the fact that my my finger lift fluid leaked out,in a few months,and the antiskate "fishing line" thread has a "spring" action,that will change as it dries out, it was fine.Oh,I forgot,and there is NO excuse for this,especially as the new ownership told me it was no big deal(ha!),the VTA dial at the top of the arm,the one with the "cute" little numerical markings,has a good deal of play,and cannot be repeatable,if you want to use the numbers.Why bother having the numbers.This is ok,if you want to dial by memory,but the 2.2 "smokes" it,in every way.I sure hope the new one is better,but I doubt it.So, how could I ever have gotten that ("Tin Man" rattle trap)to perform like a fully maxed out,and worth every cent of it's "Bently Build and Finish",beautifully designed 2.2?
As the new guy(replacing the wonderful Herb Papier)could care less.He's selling quite a few of them,and does not seem to care about actual feedback,from customers.
Could you imagine Bob Graham,or Frank Schroeder not addressing such concerns.I don't think so!

Also,Larry--In all honesty, when any of us,especially me,talks to previous experience with any product,really it is NOT accurate.The reason for this is that I myself,having been so demanding,has learned some finer details of set up that may have colored my decisions regarding my newer,later preferences.If we go back to previous observations,of earlier products(even your arm shoot out),they may very well not be accurate.Just some fuel for thought,though this does let me off the hook,re: the TRIPLANAR!NA!

Well,now that I've had my little rant,have a great weekend!!
Gmorris,

In response to your last comments to me,and REDICULOUS conclusion,as to my intent!
#1-Phantom vs Schroeder--you have a point!
#2-I specifically stated that I thought the Phantom probably was a great arm.Did I not?I also stated that it looked massive to me!Which it does!What the heck is the problem here?It's my freakin' taste!Actually,since you seem to be so damn condescending,I "think"(my opinion,which means nothing,and I'm sure I'm NOT impacting sales)my 2.2(and it's arm mass) will perform better with my cartridge,on my vacuum table;and I don't care that you have a Helikon,that sounds fine with an arm that you clearly have so much attachment to.Good for you!How dare I speak to my feelings,that OTHERS know is to be taken with a grain of salt,anyway.That was my advise to NRCHY,as well.So tough luck if I hit on a nerve,and you have decided to impress me with your propensity for arrogance.

#3-Your inference that I may be trying to position myself for a possible accommodation price on a Schroeder is so laughable that I "just have to love you" for making the accusation.
I have one child in the fourth year of med school,and another in the first year of graduate school.I have a mortgage,employees that actually like me(I pay all med/insurance expenses,and offer 3 week vacations,after 1 year),and have positioned myself to have a satisfying existence,with as little aggravation as possible.In other words-I haven't got alot of loose cash lying around,as of now.If I was to consider adding any additional expenses,after what I have spent on this hobby over these last few years,it would be ME not my wife who would have myself committed!Also,I really like the 2.2.

BTW-I have been gracious towards the Schroeder line because I think it looks like a finely designed and made product,has gotten tons of acclaim and because Frank Schroeder comes off as a very engaging guy, "committed" to his products(as I know Bob Graham is)and customers.If you have a problem with any of this,than all I can say is "TOUGH LUCK"!!
BTW-Raul,

If this is in response to my ZYX Univ statement--No I was not serious,and YES,I think it could be "that great".The guys "high" on it have been around the block,a few times.Give them the benefit of the doubt,as I(actually do) with regards to Gmorris's Phantom comments,not the gratuity inference;and I'm sorry for reacting so negatively towards you -Gmorris.I have no animosity at all!!Just a bit of a big mouth!I always feel bad,a couple of days after a "little disagreement" with another,usually well intentioned music lover.Sorry!
Splashkin,I LOVE the fact that someone is actually talking about the "software" aspect of this hobby.In a forum where equipment is taken WAY too seriously!ALL of the equipment we all love to discuss,is easily replaceable!!The software,in many instances,and especially if one has put together a truly "great music collection"(one that you can really take pride in,and one that your mother-in-law is impressed with,too)),is almost impossible to replace!!

I would love to see some of us mention some of the more interesting(obviously one's own opinion,but interesting to consider)Lp's we have come across.Ones that may not be of the norm.GOD,I LOVE to try to hunt down something different,and unique,that I've heard at a friend,that "blows me away"!How friggin' great is it when you finally get it?Locking yourself in your listening room,and "Going Back Through Time".To the "Event"!Anyone ever hear of the British EMI/Columbia pressing called "Conquistadors"?About the Spanish conquest,and destruction of the Aztecs.A disc where Raul's insistence that we "MUST" have TWO subs begins to make sense(I only have one)!In line with the DECCA recording "The Plague".Only better,to many,who have heard it.Stunning orchestration,and percussive forces,here.Man,those Spaniards were "MEAN"!Sort of like Steven Spielberg,for the ears!Finding that disc is another story.Took me ten years.

I have almost all the MERCS.WOW!!Are some of these magnificent.The DECCAS may be technically better,but as you probably know,there is NOTHING like the sound of some of the orig Mercury series discs.I hope I'm not going to get "yelled" at by someone for making that statement.It's JUST MY OPINION!!!There's a ton of newer music in this series that MUST be heard.One can source from archives(I'm fairly certain)the "GREAT" reviews by the INCOMPARABLE and "One of a kind" SID MARKS.This series was in TAS,as of a few years ago!!

Splashkin,if I can make a suggestion as to an incredible disc(one that sort of mirrors some of the Merc series,in content)that has some absolutely stunning sound(real demo quality,especially with a Phantom),as well as Phantomstic,oh sorry,I meant fantastic,and a "HOOT" fun musical content,it is the Deutche Grammaphone pressing of Russo's "Street Music".It is coupled with a fine Gershwin piece,but the REAL discovery is the "Street Music" side.It is(believe it or not) a Blues Concerto,for harmonica,with "slammin" blues piano,string bass and orchestra.It "ROCKS"!!!!!NOBODY,and this is NOT my opinion ,who has heard it,has been able to lift his/her jaw off my listening room's carpet!You should see the saliva stains on my nice rug.A bit like a dentist's office!I really should make everyone "RINSE",after the piece ends.

I hope you(or anyone else reading this)has this fabulous disc!If not keep an eye out.It should not cost more than 15-20 bucks!!And you thought I got off on equipment!!

Man I love this hobby,but it's WAY MORE FUN sharing "musical passions" with fellow music lovers!
SORRY!!!I was responding to the comments made towards CELLO,not Doug ,on the Titan Re-tip thread!
Nrchy,I would suggest you do NOT have the arm put on at SOTA!!It really could complicate shipping,properly.You would be better off having it installed locally!It's not hard to do,and you can probably do it yourself!!
Raul,I think I may have "done it again" and butted in when I should have stayed out of something that was none of my business.I feel,now,that it was pointless for me to interject my own thoughts.As I had indicated to you in the past I'm surely NOT the audio police.Sorry!Sorry!Sorry!I really have to get a life.

I wish I were more like Dougdeacon,or Albert Porter,who are always able to stay on topic.They must have been really good students,in school!
Just some different types of music(unique instruments,or arrangements).EX:Russo's "Street Music".On DG label.This is a classicly influenced blues cto,for harmonica,blues piano,and string bass/with orchestra.It is incredible,and out of the norm!Also,it was just a suggestion.You really don't need to follow up,but it would be nice for all of us to,maybe,add something about a new LP,that may be of interest to others.Just food for thought.Regards!
Nrchy,I'm assuming your frustrated over the wait time to receive your table/arm combo.I have NO sympathy towards you here.As I complained to Larry(CELLO),last winter,my Cosmos update journey took a LONG time.I mean many months to get it to where I wanted it to be!No fun!!That's one reason to have a good CD player.

The GOOD news---It REALLY was worth it,for me.As you will find out in time.Remember that you are dealing with small companies.They are really "specialty" operations,and need our patience to "Do their thing".

Kirk is a fabulous guy,but he IS Sota.He is hands on with everything,in that small,yet high quality operation.So,it takes a bit longer to get things done.The upside is their products are underpriced(especially the Cosmos)and are built to an heirloom standard.My previous Cosmos ran flawlessly for 12 years,not even needing a new belt,until I upgraded to the series III,which is "on another planet" in performance.Your frustrations will be short lived.Of that I'm confident.Now go get some new music!

RWD,great album.Sid gave it to me.I'm not attending the A.S. party,though that may change.Best of luck.
Nrchy,best of luck with your new table/arm/cart combo.Great stuff!It will sound great and you will love it.Of that I'm certain!
Nrchy,I really don't have alot to add,that Justin has not stated.I think I initially chose the Triplanar because it looked more solid and massive in construction.Like a fine piece of medical equipment.I'm sure this plays a part in "ALL" products chosen,though performance should be the first criteria.Obviously it was,for me,but as the eventual owner of both arms,I can state that it really is the Graham 2.2 that is MUCH better designed,built,finished,and as stated(beautifully phrased)by Justin,it "executes" the adjustments(needed for accurate set-up)better than the Triplanar.

As I look back at both arms,the 2.2 is an incredible design.SO GOOD,to me,that I really don't care about the Phantom(especially in lieu of the fact that I run a very light,high compliance cartridge).Also,and here is where the "human nature" of asthetic choice comes into play;the 2.2(to me)looks like it was made for the Cosmos.It just looks SO DARN GREAT on my Black Fountainhead table.The Phantom looks absolutely MASSIVE,and although I have NO DOUBT it is a fabulous design,it looks a bit like overkill,for a cartridge of 7 gms.I'm probably wrong,but we all have our own way of seeing things.If I had a much heavier cartridge with low compliance,I'd be looking at the Phantom,or Schroeder Ref.For sure!Actually,I like the Shroeder with my current Transfiguration,since I can select arm mass.

Which brings me back to the original advice I gave you and was so beautifully expressed by Justin.Just pick one,of these all fine arms,and be happy!!You will love any of them.Remember,though(like this year's Belmont and Preakness winner)the Schroeder should NOT be easily dismissed.It may be the "dark horse sleeper" in the field.Something tells me that I'm not wrong about that.The design is WAY too strong to be dismissed,and you have a designer/owner who seems to be unbelieveably passionate about his products.Like Elliot said,in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind;"This means something"!
Splashkin,unlike you,I don't have all the Mercs and RCA's.Just a goodly amount.Hey,but you have the Basis,I love so much.I do have a friend that has, not only all the RCA's/Deccas etc(all of them),but he has the entire Mercury catolog in "White Label Promos".I think I have to hate him!!
Raul,and Larry etc,Actually try [email protected].

Drop the last "0" in 70680.I hope this is helpful in getting in touch!
Also Raul,I really don't want to get into a subject of contradicting the UNIV fans.As to your post aiming at Doug.

You are a better man than that!That was not necessary!!You know I like you,and you have a right to voice your "opinions",but being mean is beneath you.So someone liked a specific product,and didn't like another.What real significance does that really have when very few of us have actually heard eachothers' systems.To me,the only time to get "Hot Under The Collar" is when someone actually targets me with a false accusation,or is downright nasty.Or doesn't realize that my set-up is actually the "Best in the World"!!!Just kidding!!!Then the gloves can come off.Don't worry about getting beaten up.Have you ever taken a look at us "audio geeks"?The next time you are at a HI FI show take a look at the crowd.Imposing tough guys?I don't think so!!Even if a fellow hobbyist does not find something credible,we have NO IDEA what that persons views towards what his "sonic tastes" are.So,it's a matter of opinion,only!

As far as I'm concerned,with the amount of time you seem to spend on this website,how am I to be convinced that you have gotten ANY kind of accuracy from your extensive collection?I have to hear something myself to be really definitive.Though if one thinks something looks like a great design,I see no reason why it should not be recommended as a possible good product!

Fortunately nobody can "smack" us through the screen.When technology gets to that point I'll quit this forum!!Best luck!
Nrchy,the only reason I bring up the "local" installation of the arm is because the first time I sent my Cosmos back to Sota,for a series III update,UPS did the unthinkable!Thank God Kirk is so great to work with.I simply would not want to see another person have such a crappy shipping experience.Trust me(I know),it can,and does happen.Remember,turntables,alone,are very difficult to ship.They are heavy,and UPS will most likely not give a crap about keeping it"upright"(which it must be,if an arm is attached).Believe me.The locking sub assembly means nothing,when you consider what a careless delivery guy can do!I have had Sota products(and loved them)for over 20 years.Just make sure to emphasize to Kirk(who packs incredibly well,BTW)that you want him to "PACK THE HELL OUT OF IT"!!A bit of extra emphasis here will yield rewards.Absolutely,best of luck with your fabulous new rig!!!Maybe at some future point,if you ever decide to report on it,you may want to list some of your "more unique" LP acquisitions over time.I'm really interested in this,as it can lead to some "newer" musical experiences,that I'm always looking for.
Raul,I am perplexed as to why I cannot receive E-mails,as my screen name is my business website address.Trust me I would not have come up with Sirspeedy.Something like "topspin" or "baldguy"(my daughter can't get off that one) serves me best.Actually my audio pal who reads my threads likes to call me(and I admit it is probably accurate,unfortunately)"bloviator"!What can I say?Guess I can't help myself.I appologize to those my rediculous thread lengths,and sometimes over the top conclusions annoy.C'mon,you know you're out there!

As I'm really NO computer guy,or keyboardist,I guess I need your E-mail address.What is it/where do I find it?
Hey guys,why don't you read my post a little more carefully!I ALWAYS state that my impressions are "opinion".I also was clear that things are a matter of taste,and that is why I made the statement about the Phantom being massive,which it definitely IS TO ME!!!Also I have auditioned it on two occassions,and it sounded great.So?

I also believe I CLEARLY STATED that any potential doubts I may have had about the Phantom were "probably wrong",as I don't like to knock any product,unless I have owned it for a length of time.I don't take myself all that seriously,in this forum,and am only having fun corresponding with fellow hobbyists.

Splashkin,I know you are happy with the Phantom,as you have stated this to me in the past,and I TOTALLY believe you,when you praise it's performance.It has been obvious from previous correspondence that you are a well adjusted and decent guy,with a sense of humor.I hope all is well,and wish you the best!BTW-I still love your Basis!

Gmorris,I do take your comments as having a bit of a "goading and antagonistic edge".Believe me I don't want to create ill will with ANY hobbyist on this forum,but lighten up!Your "there you go again" statement does not seem to sway towards the friendly!I hope you are a bit more mature than some hobbyists,that I've seen in Audiogon who start a verbal assault because someone doesn't like (BTW-I do happen to like the Phantom,but my 2.2 is proven,by my own experience,which could very well migrate towards a Phantom at some future point)something the other guy owns.That is ABSURD,and I'm NOT accusing you of this.Just don't take my "opinions" so seriously.I,myself,don't!If you like stuff you own,then that's it.Nobody can dictate what someone should like.But we're free to make comments,which is what this forum is all about!Someone correct me if I'm wrong!I'm just a yutz,who likes the hobby,and has some experience with a couple of products,as well as some harmless opinions.Anyone who thinks differently is taking this forum WAY too seriously!!Best wishes!

BTW-I agree with Raul!!