linn sondek tt

Does anybody still buy this? I just noticed many of their old dealers are gone.i wonder why?
theoriginalthor1

Showing 8 responses by cd318

The Linn LP12, or if you prefer, the endlessly modified/exploited Thorens TD150/ Ariston RD11, is perhaps the second greatest marketing success in audio history (ahead of Bose, behind Monster?!).

Apart from heavy handed tactics and legal triumphs, very little creativity or originality emerged from that direction.

Two decades later I still rue the day I got involved in succumbing to the hype thrown about by sections of the domestic UK press/dealer cartel.

And it hasn’t quite ended yet, almost. Sure, it’s an OK enough sounding deck, but that classic killer look was entirely ’borrowed’.

@tzh21y , no hurry. Last one I heard at a dealer's featured an Ekos / Troika combo. Strangely underwhelming.

Things improved somewhat with a Naim Aro, but I have never heard a Linn with vanishingly low surface noise. You know, those 'inky black' backgrounds you sometimes read about.

Perhaps things have changed. If you can persuade your local dealer to reconsider, (forget the 200 miles, that's too far for even a Continuum Obsidian or Technics SP10R), it'd be nice to hear what you thought.
The suspension drift problems, and hence the mindbogglingly difficult set up, were well documented. It is disingenuous to refer to it as a myth. Many older decks had dodgy top pressed steel plates that were prone to warping. Getting the suspension to bounce properly and stay that way for more than a few days on those was nigh on impossible.

The top plate was eventually replaced by a new strengthened one by Linn (third party ones are also available). These may well address some of the problems, I don’t know.

Therefore if you are considering buying a used top plate for your endlessly updated Thorens TD150, I mean Linn LP12, be very careful. A whole world of pain is waiting.

Far safer to get a new top plate, be it from Linn or some third party. Without a well set up suspension the LP12 can sound very, very ordinary.
@daveyf  You're right, I got rid of mine 15 years ago after poor performance and nothing but hassle. The LP12 money drain palaver (along with marriage/kids) finally resulted in me giving up vinyl for good.  

Still kept around 50 records though. They hold far, far too many memories. And who knows, I may go back to vinyl in the future. But if I do I'll be looking at Technics, Pro-Ject, Rega, Funk Firm etc. Scarred for life by those crap Linn cartridges, and that ghastly 45rpm speed changer. 
@daveyf , it actually had the Ittok arm with the K18 MM (I started with the K9 - had no wish to go the MC route) set up and updated (arm board, sub chassis, oil and springs/ grommets/ belt etc) to spec by a local Linn dealer. I remember bringing it home on the back seat of my car with the inner platter supported - outer one off.

Sure enough, it had to go back for adjustment not long after as one side began to sag low. Yes, I now realise that as a Linn owner you are at the mercy of your dealer. There was another highly respected one locally, but he was some 20 miles further.

So standing at a crossroads between more £££s for an Ekos/ Lingo upgrade etc or a respected CD player from Marantz/Sony, there really wasn’t much choice. At that time there was no shortage of interest for a used Linn, so selling it was pretty straightforward as I’d kept all the receipts/boxes etc.

Yes, you are right, definitely plug and play next time. Semi or fully automatic one would be nice.

@daveyf , with respect, do you really believe that your opinions count as much as those of previous owners, given that you as a dealer have a financial interest in supporting this turntable come what may?

Furthermore, its funny you also suggest Linn should improve the deck further to keep it competitive. Remember it's easily been the most hyped product in the entire history of domestic audio since it's rather dubious origins. So surely all users gave a right to expect all iterations of it to sound reasonable?

As for Linn's current marketing direction, their entire history is littered with contradictory claims. Trust them to move away from vinyl when others are moving back. Ivor was no great innovator, more of a marketing genius. His son has a near impossible job in his hands. Poisoned chalice maybe? 

Perhaps he should remember that as long as vinyl remains a valid way to sidestep the so-called loudness wars afflicting digital it will always have a place in serious audio.
@daveyf , you have made your opinion clear time and time again. And again and again.

Why do you repeatedly feel you have the right to denigrate other opinions which don't coincide with yours? Time after time, again and again with absolutely nothing new to add. 

Try to resist answering my friend, it's a rhetorical question. Go on, you can do this.