Line Magnetic 219ia vs Mc225

I am currently changing things up my system. I am looking to purchase a tube amp and have narrowed down quite a bit. I am unsure however, whether it would be more wise to go with a SET design or a push-pull design. The two amps in particular that I have in mind are either a Line Magnetic 210ia or 219ia SET 845/300B amplifier, or a vintage mc225 push pull amp with 7591 tubes of course. I waved the idea of a primaluna around but am pretty set on the two amps I’ve mentioned.. More will be familiar with the mc225 than will be with the line magnetic, but they get stupendous reviews and feedback, placing them as some of the best out there, next to shindo etc., in the tube amp world. The 225 obviously has its cult following as well, and is renowned and said by many to be maybe the best Mac amp of all time. (doesn’t matter)... anyway..

I am predominantly a record listener, but also listen to some digital and CD. My source pieces consist of a VPI Classic 2 turntable with a Soundsmith Zephyr 2 cartridge, an OPPO 105, and a Marantz 7701 preamp/ phono stage.

I have sold my previous speakers, and will be picking up a pair of 60’s vertical cornwalls this week. 102db obviously means that i do not have to consider wattage as a factor at all. I listen at low to moderate levels generally. Even 2 watts will have the cornwalls blaring. At this point the consideration is quality of wattage and current. The current will be responsible on the power to drive the 15" bass drivers in the cornwalls way more so than the wattage. The line magnetic SET amps will have no issues driving my speakers as they have large quality made transformers and move tons of current.

Here is the thing. I listen to jazz, classical cello and bass arco works, etc etc. I like soft rock as well. I also listen to very aggressive forms of rock. Hardcore, metal, thrash/speed metal, power violence, sludge, crust punk, etc etc. Those familiar, know what i mean. I am unsure on whether to go with a SET amp or PUSH PULL. Will one suit me better, or does it not necessarily matter, and either should do just fine? I know that the mc225 is known for being tubey, however natural, tight low end etc. The 219ia is known for being extremely transparent, refined, with a bold tight low end, beautiful 300B midrange, etc. Read Steve Huff’s review of this amp if you are unfamiliar. He calls it just about the best amp he has ever heard..... However will it does for the heavier stuff i listen to? This music is listened to on LP form more than less, and is recorded well and many are analog recordings.

Any input by those familiar with these two amps OR with push pull/SET amp comparisons in their own setups, please chime it with advice. I do appreciate it!

jkull

Showing 3 responses by migueca

I am not familiar with the Mc225 but having auditioned the LM219 several times, I can say that this amp is a marvelous piece of gear!
It is very well built (like a tank!) using very good parts. The original valves are not the best in the market, but are fine. The looks is something subjective - I like that Industrial-Frankenstein style - but the general quality and the sound that comes out of it are fantastic!
I heard it driving speakers of all sorts, low efficiency to high efficiency and it always sounded clear, powerful and smooth.
I think it will be a good match for the Cornwalls, but there's nothing like a real audition to determine that.
Now something different but related: the Line Magnetic LM508ia.
This amplifier uses the 805 valves instead of the 845, giving it twice the power. It still makes use of the 300B as drivers and although it is not as refined as the 219ia, it has more grump and speed for certain types of music -  like the "very aggressive forms of rock" :)
I am telling this because I was in the quest for a nice SET that could thril me with all kinds of music (I also like to listen to cello, baroque music, classic guitar, and also hard rock and other electronic sounds) and I think that the 508ia is a better all round amplifier.
If you have the chance, listen to them both and compare.
jkull,
Congratulations and happy listenings!
I haven't decided yet which model to buy - 508ia or 219ia - but will get one soon. I am also planning a visit to Line Magnetic factory, I'm very curious to see how they make these beauties (I live nearby).
One thing that most of the people advise is to connect a good preamplifier to the 219ia. Apparently the sound improves a lot! I can't tell because I've always listened to it "solo".
You have many possibilities to try different arrangements, just enjoy!
Nice to see this thread is still active. 
I finally pulled the trigger and brought my 219 home!
I was about to buy a new one from the shop when I found out that a person I know was selling his. 
Living in my home for just a few days, here are my first impressions with this amplifier as part of my system;
My system: a Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck from the early 90’s with a Spacearm, a Denon DL 103 “naked”, a custom made solid state phono preamp (with adjustable loading and gain), a CD player/DAC from KingKo (new brand from Hong Kong), Zu Audio Omen Def speakers and now this Line Magnetic 219ia. Cables are a mix of Morrow audio and DIY made by me.

I start by saying that I have listened to this amplifier many times in many different setups, always sounding superb. After nearly four years of courtship, I finally decided to bring it home. My main concern was “Will it sound the same in my living room connected to my system?” – well, it sure does!

Unpacking and handling this beast is no easy task, so make sure it sits on a permanent place and you’re not thinking about moving it around too much.

After all the connections made, I must confess I was a bit nervous when pushing the power button. It was like firing a rocket to the Moon! But instead of grunt and explosive noise the only thing I heard was… silence. This amplifier is very silent and I could only hear some hum when turning the volume knob all the way to the limit with no music playing. 

I didn’t choose a particular record as my first, I just grabbed one that was nearby – the Led Zepellin IV. And it rumbled! From start to finish, voices and instruments were crystal clear. Low frequencies are strong and tight and the highs are crisp. Pure joy!
Record after record this amplifier presented the music in a very solid way, very palpable. The definition, texture and dynamics together with the incredible soundstage made me believe many times that the bands were performing in front of me.
This first afternoon I played Led Zep, AC DC (Live), Basia Bulat (Tall Tall Shadow), Allison Krauss & Union Station (So long So wrong), Beatles (Abbey Road) and Rodrigo y Gabriela (omonymous). It was like I was listening to all these records for the first time, because this amplifier puts some extra weight in the music. Everything sounds boulder, richer, with more body and detail.
Electric instruments and drums were very good to listen to, but where it really shines is on the vocals and acoustic instruments like classic guitars. Shivers and chills! Speechless!

Another thing I noticed clearly was that this amp doesn’t forgive a bad recording. Good records will sound amazing but a bad record will sound bad. It simply brings up whatever we feed it with.

I’m not an “audiophile” nor an experienced reviewer, just someone with a strong passion for music and some knowledge about music (also as a musician). What I experience now with the 219ia from Line Magnetic is way beyond any other amplifier that I heard before. It’s engaging. It’s organic. It’s addictive!
This one is a keeper! Together with my old Nottigham and the Zu speakers this is a fantastic sound system both sonically and visually. I wish I could stay home all day and not have to go to work…

All tubes are from factory and I don't feel the need of rolling tubes (at least for now). I am experiencing, though, a passive preamplifier turning the LM219ia into a pure power amp. Can't tell if it sounds better, just different. I need more time. 

Are all the owners as happy as I am? :)