Krell FPB 300

Hi All,

I would love some opinion from the community.

I have an FPB 300 that I purchased new around 2000. It's been great, and I have used it at lower volume levels, driving B&W 802's. It appears that some capacitors have blown, and now I'm confronting a repair. I have talked to Krell and am ready to make the commitment to repair, but want to look at all my options, so here goes;

1. Is there a potential market for it, as is, which leaves the repair to the new owner?
  2. If I repair it, what's the market like? Krell offers a 90 warranty that is transferable, and it sounds like they will likely replace all the caps.
  3. If I keep it, would I expect that it'll go another 20 years before caps will be an issue again?
  4. Is Krell the best option for this? The quote is $1200-$1500, plus shipping costs. I'm located in NE Wisconsin.
  5. Do you have a shipping carrier and packaging recommendation? I have the original box.
Thanks very much for input on how I might approach this.

Kurt
kcstueber
Questions to your answers:
1. There is but i would not recommend it as most potential buyers would search for a working product. If you want to lose money this the way to go.
2. Good option for the buyer and at the same time you can sell at a better price.
3. Yes, normally.
4. Look answer 2 and check hifi shark or ebay to get some info.
5. Having original box and packing material you can send it anywhere, for carriers check their pricing and delivery times.
It is a good ride for your,....in Rockford, ILL. Soundsclassic.com. 
Family small business.   Used them twice with great results. 
I use old equipment as trade in. It gives your dealer the option to give you a discount by inflating the value of your trade in without offending the new gear company. I have a great dealer I work with. I would ask him. In the past he has said he had a personal relationship with the designer and could get it fixed cheaper than I could.

Good relationships with a dealer can be a really good thing.
I had my FPB300 (purchased around 1996) recapped in 2009. It started to fail again in 2018, but the first several years after recapping it sat in a box unused. After checking the cost to get it fixed again, I decided to trade it in. 

I kind of regret getting rid of it because I've since gotten into DIY and I think I could have fixed it myself for not much money. The problem with this generation of Krell is that the caps used have turned out to be less reliable than they should be, at least based on the research I did a couple years ago. It's a great sounding amp when it's working though.