Klipschorn: Still relevant??

I'm interested in stirring the pot which is my current system. Please see my system for more details but, in summary, I'm conteplating moving from a Cary beam power/triode & Von Schweikert VR4JR based system to a SET/Klipschorn system.

In general, would you consider the move to be "better" or just different. Or worse?? Better being defined as higher fidelity for most types of acoustic music.

Really curious. Your opinion matters! I have to buy most of my equipment without hearing it and have to rely on reputations, opinions, reviews, etc.

Thanx
pawlowski6132

Showing 12 responses by larry510

hi,

BTW there a lot of easy inexpensive tweeks you can do on Khorns such as getting new crossovers and rope calking the tweeter or squaker horns to mellow them a little bit if that's your inclination. The formus have a lot of how to information on to do the tweeks and where to buy the crossovers(around 200.00. If you ever have a problem with a driver in used Khorns, Klipsch still makes and sells replacemant drivers.

Larry
Hi,

I have a SET ( Wright 2A3 monoblocks ) which I use with 1979 Klipsch Cornwalls. I also use a EICO HF-81 (circa 1959 el84 williamson design pp amp ) and a Cary SLI-80 ( in the triode mode ) with them. The Wrights sound the best ... detailed, articulate, fast and plenty of bass and volume, a midrange and highs to die for and outstanding imaging ( side to side and front to back ) with these high efficiency speakers. The horns can only be better. I wish I had the room for them.

BTW, Klipsch still produces the La Scala, the Bells, the Klipschorns, the Heresys and will soon add the Cornwalls to current production.

To get sets and Khorns is IMHO a dream set up.

good listening,

Larry
hi Rod 1957,

Yes you heard me right. Check out the Klipisch two channel forum and do a search on the Cornwall III's. They are planning to bring them back on the market and have a prototype. They are still tweeking them for the best overall sound. Probably a few months before relase and the selling price is not set yet.

In lew of that put a post on the forum that your are looking for a clean set of Cornwalls, I got mine that way for $850.00, a 1979 set, and I love them.

good listening,

Larry
hi Telescope_Trade,

Your handle can only mean, I think, that your are in some way interested in telescopes. So am I, particularly in asto imaging. See my web site with images taken with a Takahashi Mewlon 250 and a SBIG ST10XME

http://starryforge.com

good listening,

Larry
hi,,

"There is music in the mighty Klipschorn."

Amen to that. Just listen to them with a open mind.

good listening

Larry
hi.

"Klipsch do some things very well, but they are not modern speakers. If you want to get serious about horns you might want to consider something like the Classic Audio Reproduction line. They use much better drivers and parts than Klipsch and it's reflected in the sound quality.

If you're stuck on Klipsch, search the archives, there were several threads on how to upgrade their performance through relatively simple parts swaps.

In direct answer to your original question, no - the Klipsch will not be better than what you have if by better you mean higher levels of fidelity"

I just love it when someone suggests I spend 10000 dollars on a set of horns that MAY be a little bit better then the Cornwalls I spent 700 dollars on.

good listening

Larry
hi

Onhwy61, your missing the point. The man asked about Khorns which can be bought used from 1550 to 2500 dollars. The speakers you referred to were 4x as much.
hi,

Onhwy61

have you heard the two side by side ? if not your opinion means nothing

Now Pawlowski6132 can do just that if he wants. Buy a pair of horns for about 2000 listen to both and sell the one he wants to. If he sells the horns he'll get what he paid for them

Larry
hi,

RE: Klipsch there is always a lot a c**p slung around, at least on this forum. The folks who like them say so, usually in a nice way. The folks who have tried them and don't say so, usually in a nice way. A lot of folks who have not heard them or owned them bash them for some reason beyond my understanding.

If your curious, try them. Buy them used and ypu can't lose any bucks.

For other opinions look and do a search on Khorns in the Klipsch 2 Channel forum or the audio asylum SET and High Efficiency speakers forum.

good listening

Larry
hi,

Robm321 ... that's a teenagers response

hope you can do better nextr time

Larry
hi

You didn't raise my blood pressure. I just thought the implication in your post was not well thought out.

Robm321

"Sorry to raise everyone's blood pressure, but I just don't see anyone going to Klipsch. Maybe I'm just not around all the hoards of people dropping their exotic speakers for Klipschorn."

Well Klipsch still makes and markets their Heritage line of speakers including the Khorn, Belles, La Scala, & Hersey II and will probably remarket the Cornwall. None of them are inexpensive. There must be a demand for them. The management of Klipsch must have a reason for continuing the line and that's sales and profits. Somebody must be buying them. I doubt that most folks with "exotic" spakers are trading them if for Khorns. Some people do including me.

good listening

Larry
hi

Onhwy61 said

" Larry510, is it possible for you to imagine that some people have listened to Klipsch (Heresy, LaScala, KHorn) speakers and didn't fall in love with them. Maybe they wanted a speaker that went deeper in the bass, or one that soundstaged with more front to back depth, or possibly a more refined treble range, or even a less forward midrange. Just try to imagine."

Yes it is possible for me to imagine that. Klipsch speakrs have a "house sound" that's not for everyone. But the same can be said of every manufacturer, some people love B&W, others like Silverline and on an on. I've listened to a large number of high end speakers at audio shows and friends homes. I never had anything bad to say about any of them. Klipsch just fit my needs better.

What irks me is how some people disparage a company or speaker without listening to them. I guess this is based on the fact that they are perceicved as "old technology". All I can say old is not always bad or inaccurate or low fidelity.