Kenwood KT-990D

I'm very (very) new to the hifi world and I've collected a few vintage and older items in the past few months. One of which is a Mint Kenwood KT-990D. Is this worth keeping or selling? What's the going price for this unit?

I really have no real need for a tuner, since I have on built in to our current head unit. How would I benefit from this model if I decide not to sale it?

Thanks guy, and I look forward to learning from this experienced, and knowledgeable community.
cupchurch

Showing 1 response by multykat

I'm not really convinced of "the crappy transmission" (Very) good fm tuners like Tandberg 3011A, Kenwood L-02T, Kenwood kt 990d ... have a more natural lifelike sound than most internet radio stations ever can broadcast. If transmission is compressed (under 320 kbps)you can immediately hear the quality loss on a (very) good system - on classical music you can hear the difference IMMEDIATELY.
In my humble opinion internet radio is very good for news listening and pop music, but TERRIBLE for classical music. I ONLY listen to satellite radio channels through a high grade HD sat receiver IF they broadcast on 320 kbps.
Otherwise I prefer an analogue tuner for listening classical music. People who don't have a very good hi-end homesystem really can't judge over the quality of analogue FM broadcasts. Antenna reception with a Yagi antenna or Magnum dynalab antenna is also much better than through cable. Maybe the promotors of internet radio suffer from partial deafness (?) The CD standard is 1411,2 kbps ! Also a good CD player (for eg marantz 94 mark II) sounds a lot better and dynamical than a standard crappy cd player