Just bought Technics SL1000 MK3 need to buy/borrow platter removal tools

Just purchased a Technics SL1000 MK3 turntable and need to purchase or borrow the platter center disc removal tool and the (2) platter removal handles so that the seller can properly/safely remove the platter for shipping.

Does the bearing need support like the SP10 MK2 does for shipping?
I have had SL1000 MK2's for years, but this is my first SP10 MK3.

Any packing suggestions would be appreciated.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrich121

Showing 6 responses by lewm

If you're referring to using an adhesive surface under the Boston Audio Mat1 or 2, I presume you used double-sided tape.  Which is what I did on my Lenco platter to fix the BA Mat2.  My only reason for doing so was that I feared the mat could otherwise "slip" against the slippery surface of the Lenco platter.  I now regret that decision, because it places a layer of tape between the mat and the platter, thereby potentially impeding the transfer of energy between the two.  But that too is probably a ridiculous thing to worry about.  My Lenco sounds great.
My bad. The BA Mat2 is not stuck to the mk3 platter. I foolishly did that with the BA Mat on my Lenco.
Thanks, JP.  Otherwise I would have to un-stick the Boston Audio Mat2 in order to visually inspect the platter lift holes. Or go onto the Soundfountain website.
JP
Although I cannot recall the precise metric size, I’m sure the holes in my platter conform to some standard metric.
Push come to shove, just buy a pair of (M3?) metric screws.  You can lift the platter by just gripping them.  It's no big deal. You'll be using two hands to lift about 21 lbs.  Not difficult.

When you talk to Colby, mention my name to jog his memory. He made the part for me maybe 4-5 years ago, but we have had other business since then. If you have a photo, which I think can be found on Soundfountain, that will help him too.
Sorry, Rich.
In lieu of the factory-supplied handles for the Mk3 platter, I made a handle as follows:  (1) Start with a piece of aluminum pipe, about a foot long, or long enough to traverse the distance between the two threaded holes in the top of the platter, with some extra length on either end. Pipe should be about one inch in outer diameter.  (2) Measure the distance between the two threaded holes in the platter.  (3) Drill two holes cross-wise into your alu pipe such that the distance between them equals the distance between the two threaded holes in the platter. You could use a quarter-inch drill bit for that. You'll probably want to mount the pipe in a vise while drilling. (4) Determine the metric thread size needed for those two holes in the platter; it's probably M3 (3mm), but it could be M4. (5) At a good hardware store or on-line, find two metric screws of appropriate thread diameter and that are at least 3-4 inches long (4 inches ~ 100mm).  (6) Insert metric screws through the two holes you have drilled in your alu pipe, and now you have a handle for lifting the platter. Use those washers under the heads of the metric screws, so they won't fall through the holes you've drilled in the pipe.  Is that clear enough?  My handle is actually superior to the factory handles, because it allows you to lift the platter with one hand, since it grips both holes at once.

As for the tool to remove the center piece.  Colby Lamb made one for me.  He is in Oregon. He likely still has the info for making another one.  If you have problems there, contact me privately.