JL Audio e112 sub vs. JL Audio Fathom 112 v.2

I recently purchased a JL Audio e112 subwoofer, which seems to work OK with my system, although at normal listening volumes it is turned all the way up.  I wonder if for not too much more money it would not make sense to purchase a Fathom 112 v.2.  Does anyone have experience with these subwoofers?
gapperis123

Showing 1 response by emailists

EJR, was the velodyne sub the latest digital drive plus series? I only ask because before deciding on a subwoofer line to bring in and sell as a dealer I looked closely at JL and Velodyne but couldn’t properly compare either, so just took a crap shoot and went with a pair of Velodyne dd10+ to complement the low end of our TAD CR1’s. They work extemely well, but always wondered what the latest JL’s sounded like. Perhaps subs are the hardest to compare, but I believe the common wisdom is 2 (or more) smaller subs is better than 1 larger sub. I think the OP should just purchase a second e112 rather than step up in the line .

BTW my subs volume are set at the lower end of the scale - around 8.  They sounded great via XLR but I have recently started running them from the high level input out of the BHK 300 Amps.  This is the way REL suggests thier setup so you might try the JL from your amps if possible .