JBL L36

I have had these speakers since 1977; I had to re-foam the woofers about 20 years ago, but otherwise still in excellent shape.  In the last 15 years, I moved on equipment-wise and since shelved the L36s. So the other day, out of curiosity,  I decided to pull them out and connected them to my  current VPI, VAC and ARC front end; they were actually quite impressive!    For what was considered a “bookshelf” speaker at the time, they could pull off a large soundstage for these small boxes and fill my relatively large 18 x 20 room!  

I remember at the time listening to both the L36 and the L100; I actually preferred the L36 as I thought the L100 was bass heavy.  Does anyone else have any experience they would like to share on these speakers?  After my most recent audition, I am hanging on to them and listening to them more often!

post2338

L36 were beyond my meager paper route money in 1973. My best friend got them but I waited until the L25 Prima went on sale, which was a good sale being as ugly as they are. L36 had the midrange and nice wood cabinet. We were college roommates and with two sets of JBL had "the" stereo on campus. 

That midrange made all the difference. Mine were kept until the foam disintegrated. His, I don't know. What little imaging we got was nothing compared with today. But we didn't know any better and besides, they were LOUD!!😍

JBL from 60-70x are great speakers.

But according to my experience with Altec 604E from 60x, crossover parts update makes a huge difference. Despite my speakers sounding good with old original crossovers, the changing of capacitors and variable resistors improved the sound to a different level.

I measured old capacitors before the upgrade and their values were OK. But in any case, old electrolytic capacitors, and potentiometers are not good for transparency and dynamics.

russ69: It’s funny you mentioned the L200s; I actually purchased a pre-owned pair in 1974; I was a Junior in HS and was saving every penny I made from stocking shelves at our local drug store for stereo equipment.  The pharmacist at the time was quite the audiophile and got me hooked.  It took me about a year of part-time work to assemble my system- Sansui Eight Deluxe receiver, Dual 1229Q with Stanton 681EEE, and L200s.  The funny thing is that I fit this system into my 11 x 12 bedroom; I had a pull out sofa for my bed!  Needless to say, I could definitely load the room!😂. Ended up selling the L200s to my brother as I was moving out of state; he still has them and uses them to this day!

...he still has them and uses them to this day!

Outstanding!

Side Note: That was when the guys in Northridge were doing their best work. A good friend of mine was a QA guy at JBL back then, he QAed all the drivers. A great guy, I still am in contact with him.