It Looks Like Streaming May Be The Future

According to the RIAA streaming revenues were almost 4X the dollar value of all physical product (cd, vinyl and dvd) shipped in 2017. $5.7 billion vs $1.5 billion.

Digital Download revenues and CD units shipped declined while Vinyl squeaked out a 5% increase in units shipped. Here’s a link:

http://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/RIAA-Year-End-2017-News-and-Notes.pdf
128x128tomcy6
+1 slaw! Physical media (tape, LP, CD) has monetary value. Streaming has ZERO monetary worth to the user! Remember it is ILLEGAL to copy, sell or loan this digital content! Finally the music providers have their hands on the throats of the consumers! And they will make you pay and pay!

I concur w/ the panel as above. I grew up w/ the Compact Disc. I have no desire to rent (streaming) content. Hi -rez download content is not too bad, so long as, it can burn  onto a CD-r.

Happy Listening!

@jafant .
But, you can sample recordings that you would never have known about and buy them if you really like them.
B
Right gdnrbob, no one is stopping anyone from buying anything, but with streaming you listen on your own system as many times as you want before you buy and you can sample so much more music.

The music industry has always had their hands on the throats of music buyers. They have always decided what you hear, what it sounds like and what it costs.

I am sure that I have more Lps, Cds and Cassette tapes than I will have time to listen to before I die. So, except for music that is really special, why should I keep piling up more?

I don’t trust the music industry either, but all things must pass, as some musician once said.  You should try streaming before you decide you don’t like it. You may be surprised.
all things must pass
Good old George Harrison, may he rest in peace.

And, another artist that I have reconnected with through streaming services...
B