Integrated Amps vs. Separates.

I'm curious what people think the better option is, integrated amp or seperates. It seems that integrated amps are a cost cutting measure, but do they also cut sonic quality? Assuming similiar price ranges, what would people here generally choose. Give me some examples/brands/models and comparisions from your experiences. Thnaks. Carter p.s. Is the Krell KAV 300i really the king of integrateds like many reviewers say (i.e not only better than all other integrated amps but better than most seperates)?
mailman199
If your budget is limited I would suggest you still go with seperates, but take advantage of some of the great buys to be found on sites such as Audiogon. There is some really wonderful used gear to be had for cheap that is no longer the latest and greatest, but was well reviewed and loved in the recent past, and let's face it, amps and preamps have not improved that much in the last 5 or even 8 years. Here are a couple of recommendations. I've seen Classe 70 amps on Audiogon for as little as $450. This amp was a steal at $1200 when it was new and very highly reviewed in The Absolute Sound. Great looks and build quality and a very sweet sounding amp that will drive all but the most demanding speakers to reasonable levels. I own two of these which I use in a surround system, but every once in a while I put one of them on my high end system (Aerial 10t's driven with a pair of BEL 1001 MK3a monos) and am amazed at how good they sound. Another great deal to be had is an Audio Research LS2 or LS2B preamp. These can be had for $7 or 800 in mint condition. I could give you many more examples, but you get the idea. I can just about guarantee these will well out-perform all but the most exotic integrated amps and at under $1500 that's hard to beat. And avoid the hype around cables. In the words of J. Gordon Holt they are just passive tone controls. Some of the older Monster Cable is quite cheap used and highly underrated. Enjoy!
Once again I am short on time. Eldragon, I tested no other integrated amps. I was using a Meridian 557 amp and 502 pre. A guy I know locally offered it to me used. I disagree with the statements that for the same price separates is the way to go. It would cost a company less to make a amp/preamp in one box (i.e. interagted) than to make them in two boxes at the same performance level If money is no object, clearly separates are the way to go. Why? Nobody makes a "cost no object" integrated. And if they did, I can't imagine the size of it. But, for the most of us, if there is a itegrated in our price range, I would think it would be worth a listen. Drawbacks are the obvious up-grade factor. The Plinius 8150 has gotten great reviews. At it's price point, $3000, my guess is it would be hard to beat with separates. I would say the same with the 383 I just bought, at $6000 I think it would be hard to beat. Again, go to the Web site I listed and just read the first few paragraphs and read the strong points for them and a list that Stereophile has tested lately, a list that is growing rapidly. The Absolute Sound is testing a host of them in their current issue.
It really depends on your budget.The Sim Audio I5 is as good an integrated as i have heard.IMHO i prefered it to the Krell 300I.I was down to one or the other until I was seduced by the sound of the tube.If you have the soace and budget do the seperates.If you want to keep it simple go Integrated.Give the Sim I5 a listen if you can.Its worth every cent.
I agree with Tml2. I've owned the Sim Moon I-5 for almost a year, and can't be happier with it. If the I-5 were just a high quality solid state 75W/ch power amp, it would be worth the money. With the preamp section included, I think it is a downright steal!(especially if you live in Canada, where the prices are even better than elsewhere in the world)