INNER GROOVE DISTORTION

Seasons greetings! I have a VPI Prime Sig. with a Soundsmith " The Voice " cart. and am having an issue with inner groove distortion. I don't use anti-skating, just twisting the cable going to the junction box. I will be upgrading the arm to a Fatboy soon and when the tech comes to set it up we will address the issue. On some records I can't listen to the last song! Frustrating, any feedback will be appreciated. Also, have Pass XP-25, ARC Ref 3 and 75 with ML ESL11A's. Thanks.
joeyfed55
Joey, please get the version with the gimbal bearings! More than likely your problem is lack of anti skating. It could also be poor set up, turntable not level, etc. What you are doing is guessing. Guessing is not the way to set up a turntable. To adjust anti skating correctly you need a test record. It will allow you to find the best compromise. I like the Hi Fi News Test Record. You have some great equipment. It would be silly to compromise the lot with poor set up. Just a few minutes with the test record will demonstrate to you why you need an anti skate devise. You will never go without one again. You will get better bass with the gimbal bearings.

Mike
Sounds like you need to set up the anti skate. Check out Peters Tutorial on you tube. He absolutely believes that you need to use it. It made a huge difference on my VPI especially with the original 3 D Tonearm. You will most likely need some small washers in addition to the o rings to achieve the correct anti skate. The Tonearm should move very slowly towards the spindle while not in the record groove. Give it a shot u got nothing to lose.
Good suggestions above. I would also recheck your cartridge overhang & alignment. If that is good, Change VTA slightly... move the base of the arm up .050 (or so) & see if it changes anything. 
"Just twisting the cable ..." A Mickey Mouse attempt at anti-skate! This will not do! Replace that VPI arm with one with proper gimbal bearings and an anti-skate mechanism. Jelco arms are excellent and affordable!