if you had this system, what would you do to make it sound the best you can

This is my first time using this forum. I'm looking to improve my system, and I'd like to hear your ideas of what you would change or purchase to make it sound even better. Current system:  McIntosh amp MC202, 200 watts/ch; C42 preamp with DAC and 8 band equalizer; MCD 301CD; MR85 Tuner; streamer MB20.  TT is Pro-ject Classic SB, Equalizer Sound Shaper 3 IC, Speakers Spendor A5s rated 150watts peak, cables Audioquest; R to R, J Corder Technics RS1520; Panamax Power.  All pieces have original power cords.  Audio cables are low-end.  Music: Classical, Jazz, Easy/soft Rock.  Joan Baez, Enya, etc. thank you for any advice.

markley

@2psyop

+1
I must agree. Upgrading your speakers would be the way to go. You can get lots more out of the rest of your system. If you can swing over $5K you can get into a new class of speakers. If you really like the Mac sound, B&W is a common choice to pair with. Other great brands: Sonus Faber (natural / musical) and DynAudio (detailed and dynamic) are also great choices. Since the Mac stuff tends to lack detail, B&W and DynAudio may be really compatible.

+1 Getting Better Sound

Don’t let others tell you that your system is not good. Unless anything there needs a recap or new wiring, then leave it alone. I mean, speakers maybe? But only if they’re in need of some service. But those a5’s are supposed to be great speakers (I’m a Spendor fan so I’m definitely biased!). Positioning and room treatment (if you haven’t already used some) is just as important as your components. Make sure you get a handle on the peak frequencies in your room and first reflections if you haven’t already done so.

Other than that, yeah…a nicer power strip/conditioner would be advisable. At least a high current Chang Lightspeed, or a Puritan if you can swing it. You also do not have to pay a great deal for some well made/shielded high current power cables as well. You’d be amazed at the difference that alone can make for the system.

If you’re itching to change at least one component, others here mentioned purchasing a nice outboard dac and I’d have to agree that would be a fun and noticeable improvement. Holo Audio Cyan 2 is affordable but hits way above its class. 

Riccitone advised you well...

upgrading is not recommended as a first move if your system is already synergetical...

To go for more learn about your electrical grid, the control of vibration on your system and room acoustic...

Upgrading will give you no knowledge at all save if some gear piece is too much sub par to the other piece ...

You must learn with what you have and then after exploring the way to use optimally what you had already then you will know what piece3 to upgrade and why ...

The most fun part of this hobby is the journey in experimenting with what you have already ...

upgrading will never be so gratifying than creativity...

Upgrade is useful when we know why with what and how to install it rightfully in a room with the other pieces...

Takes your time read a bit and think with simple experiments to begin ...

I bought new Quad ESL's 15 years ago - and I'm keeping them. The 29 series is very smooth and elegant, and build quality is high. The 28 series is brighter, too bright for my taste. YMMV