I must be old

Listening tonight to Heavy Weather on first vinyl then CD through a Sonica DAC it occurs to me that there are no pops, the stage separation is larger, the dynamics are larger and the instruments are better defined. My record album is not brand new. It has surface noise. My CD does not. I want to love my vinyl but unless I buy perfect new LPs I cannot tolerate the surface noise or lack of frequency limitations for the sake of euphonic sound. Am I crazy?  Misinformed?  Stupid?  I have been an audiophile for 50 years. 
tgrisham
I didn't understand the big deal about vinyl - I had a Rega TT with an Exact cartridge, and I got no thrill out of the vinyl I had and would go years without playing a record. Just recently upgraded my vinyl system with a Technics SL-1200G TT, Clearaudio Charisma MM cartridge, and phono preamp and line stage preamp from Herron Audio. Now I understand the big deal about vinyl. It does sound better than digital in my system, but digital still sounds excellent and as long as I like the music, I can be happy with either.
I have a lot of LP's that I like.  If I have it on CD, I will usually play that, but I am not going to go to the trouble of replacing my LP's and cannot replace all of the.  I do have some old Sheffield, etc, Direct to Disc albums that later came out on CD.  I do prefer the LP on some of these.  Besides, I really like Fine Line M/C cartridges, whatever it is they do.
Just my comment on the original post and those that agree that vinyl has too much noise.
Something is wrong if that is your experience.  I have been buying and playing records since 1964 (55 years) Most of them are dead quiet.
Last night I put on Duke Ellington Indigos and then Lightnin Hopkins Soul Blues. You cannot hear a thing until the music starts and nothing between tracks.I have some from the late 60's and early 70's that got poor treatment through playing at parties. But if you are hearing noise on new records something is wrong, ie. not clean, poor pressing, poor gear?

My point was that with a well sorted system, any format from tape to 78s and digital can and should sound great when playing great music. Otherwise why bother with of any of this?