Hot Rats

Anyone here love Frank? He's a musical genius!

voodoolounge

Mysterioso1, 

The Grand Wazoo and Waka Jawaka are both demo quality, with great dynamics, tone color, and a big open stage presentation, but musically, TGW is the better album with more great songs.  My original 1973 vinyl still sounds great.

Zappa's  "Blessed Relief", "Twenty Small Cigars", "Grand Wazoo" and "Waka Jawaka", along with countless others, is some of the most wonderful music I've ever heard. I saw him in concert three times and was amazed that he encouraged people to vote and had a voting registration area set up as you arrived at the venue.  His testimony in front of congress concerning censorship of music is noteworthy (John Denver was with him) and a testament to what kind of a man he was.  His last work at the end of his life, "The Yellow Shark" is, IMO, a final tribute to his true genius. Those who might dismiss him for his sarcasm and sexual innuendo are missing the true measure of his musical prowess. I have to say that it was Frank Zappa's music that first led me to John Coltrane...and from there into the rich and limitless world of jazz and elsewhere. 

Died to young indeed! I have the album as well and might have to put it on todays playlist.

Cancer Sux!

In case someone is wondering if they like him, listen to "Apostrophe".  If you do not love that, you will not be a fan of his other stuff, either.  Yellow snow and cooties?  Yup.