Help with Pioneer PL-707

I just bought one of these in perfect functional and quite nice cosmetic condition. Has a carbon fiber tonearm and a silent running direct drive motor.

Any advice on good mm cartridge matches? It came with an Audio Technica LS-400 that'll need a new stylus so I'm open to change.

Should electrolytic caps be replaced given the table is nearing age 30?

Would the table benefit from a professional refurbish (I found a shop in PA that specializes in vintage Pioneer tables)? Purchase price was $180, and I'd invest a bit more if it will extend the life of this table as it really seems well-made.
jb0194

Showing 3 responses by jb0194

Correction:

I found a spec sheet that states the arm and headshell are "graphite polymer".
Thanks, Johnbrown.

I'm leaning toward the "clean/look/enjoy" plan. I'd not trust my soldering skills on cap replacement, but I can do the DeoxIT thing and swap out the output cables for new and hardwire them on the inside. The tonearm moves smoothly and tonearm lift still seems well-damped. The motor is absolutely silent. I read that it is the same motor used in the P-3/P-3a Japanese statement tables. I gave it a good outside cleaning, and it was obviously well taken care of in the past.

I think I've answered the cartridge question. I tried two: vintage Stanton 881-MKIIs and Nagaoka MP-30, both with new original styli. The Nagaoka sounds very nice, the Stanton a bit shrill.

jb
I have a strobe disk, so I'll test accuracy of speed tonight.

If the platter speeds are accurate I'm good to go.

Funny, the Nagaoka sounds dark on a Dual 701 I have, but really sings on the Pioneer. I'd thought of selling the Nagaoka, but not now.