Help with an AV processor

I am wanting to use this set-up primarily for television in a bedroom. Right now I can use it with Blu-Ray and Cds but not regular television. I believe I need a processor and a sub to complete my system so I need some guidance on which pieces to get. What should I spend, what features do I need, etc? New or used works for me. Any advice is appreciated. I'm really not very knowledgeable in this area. Here is my set-up so far:

Panasonic Plasma TV
Oppo-BDP-105D
No pre or AV processor
KEF center channel
KEF LS50 L+R
Parasound Halo A-31 3 channel amp.

wemfan
If your Panasonic Plasma TV or cable server box has digital audio output (coaxial or optical), you can connect it to the Oppo-BDP-105D digital audio input.
Hello wemfan,

Both Loomis and Al above are correct, you can use your Oppo 105D as a preamp processor to do what you want.  Here's how to do it:

1.  Connect an HDMI cable from the output on your cable box to the HDMI input on the back of your Oppo.  Note: this input is listed as "3. HDMI IN-Back" when you later use your Oppo remote "Input" button, located on the top of the remote between the red "Power" button and the disc drawer white "Open" button, to select the proper cable box source.  
     Once setup is complete, you'll be using the Oppo remote to control volume and the cable remote to select the channel.

2.  Connect another HDMI cable from the "HDMI 1" output on the back of the Oppo to the HDMI input on your TV.  Note: you'll also need to select the proper input on your TV.  It's also important to use the HDMI 1 output on the Oppo because it's the only output that benefits from the Oppo's excellent Marvell QDEO video processor. 

3.  Connect a pair of XLR balanced audio cables from the left and right XLR "Stereo Outputs" on the back of the Oppo to the "CH 1" and "CH 3" 
XLR inputs on your A-31 amp.  For wiring simplicity, I suggest using CH 1 for the right channel/speaker and CH 3 for the left channel/speaker.  Set the "Gain" knob to the middle 12:00 position and the "Balanced/Unbalanced" switch to the balanced position on both channel CH 1 and CH 3 inputs. Use speaker wire to connect the right LS50 to CH 1's  speaker outputs and the left LS50 to CH 3's speaker outputs.

4.  Connect a single RCA unbalanced cable from the "Center" output on the back of the Oppo to the "CH 2" RCA input on the A-31 amp.  Set the "Gain" knob to the middle 12:00 position and the "Balanced/Unbalanced" switch to the unbalanced position on CH 2. Use speaker wire to connect the KEF center channel speaker to CH 2's speaker outputs.
     If you want to add a sub, just connect a single RCA unbalanced cable from the "Subwoofer" output on the back of the Oppo to the sub's RCA input.

5.  The final step is to use the Oppo's remote to navigate to the Audio Processing Setup Menu to optimize the audio configuration.  This is the section in which you're able to match the relative volume of your speakers, indicate whether a center ch speaker and/or a sub is being utilized, set the crossover frequency for the sub and determine which speakers will have bass assistance from the sub and which will not.  You can read all about this section beginning on page 63 of your Oppo manual. 

I'm certain this setup will work well for you since I also use a Panasonic plasma, Oppo 105 (not a D version) and multiple amps in my combo 2-ch music and 5.4 HT system.  The Oppo 105 are excellent serving as surround processors up to 7 channels with a sub or subs.  There's no Atmos but all channels utilize high quality Saber dacs capable of up to 24 bit/192kHz hi-res playback.

Tim
Caphill,
Using the Oppo for a processor is the way to go for me as I want to keep things as simple as I can. I don't anticipate growing from 3.0 except maybe a sub. I do appreciate all of the info you gave me. THX

Tim, I've read and reread your post and now I have finally got it going but with a few issues. It seems I can run the two main speakers or the center channel but, so far, not at the same time. Under, audio processing- DTS NEO:6 mode, off engages the two main speakers as does the music option. The cinema option turns the two mains off and engages the center channel. How do I engage all 3 speakers at once? I went to Speaker Configuration and turned on the 3 speakers I have and turned off the others and selected 5.1 mode.
Hello wemfan,

Did you do Step#5 on my procedures?

Under the Setup Menu, go into Audio Processing and then into Speaker Configuration- You’ll then see a diagram on your tv of a 5.1 system with 5 speakers, a sub and a guy sitting on a couch. Then follow this procedure:

1. Use the left or right arrow key on your remote until the "Test Tone" area is highlighted (located in back of the couch) and hit enter to turn the test tone on (there’s a speaker symbol at the bottom left of the screen that will indicate if the test tone is on or off).

2. Once the tone is on, use the left or right arrow key to scroll to the FR/Front Right speaker and press enter. You’ll hear some pink noise being played through your FR speaker and you then need to set the following for this speaker:

Size: Set this to "Large" if you want this speaker to run full-range and "Small" if you’re using a sub and want to limit the low frequency output of this speaker. You don’t have a sub yet so set this to "Large".

Distance: Set this to the number of feet away from the speaker your listening position is located.

Trim: Set this to "0dB" initially. Later, you can go back into this section and adjust the relative volume/trim of all 3 of your speakers so they're level matched or set to your preference.

3. Repeat Step#2 for your C/center channel and FL/Front Left speakers.

4. Sit at your listening position and scroll through all 3 speakers and, using the test tone, adjust the Trim on them by ear until all 3 sound the best to you.

It sounds to me like your center speaker may have been set to "Off" by default. It may help you to read the Oppo manual on this subject starting on page 63. Please let me know if this fixes your issue.

Thanks,
Tim