Hegel H80 & Yamaha A-S801 Conundrum

I have been using a Yamaha A-S801 integrated amplifier in my secondary system for a few years. I thought that I was happy with it. However, a friend loaned me an Hegel H80 to try, and I did so in place of the A-S801. Even though the H80 is specified for lower power compared to the A-S801, the H80 makes the A-S801 sound quite ordinary. Based on this experience, I would buy a current model Hegel product (H90 or H190) to replace it today, if the integrated DAC of the Hxx at least matched the specification for the A-S801, but it does not. Neither the H90 nor H190 (current Hegel products) process DSD, and and the Hxx DAC's top out at 192kHz PCM. Therefore, I have many DSD and some PCM files that the A-S801 DAC can play and that the Hxx cannot. I am not willing to travel higher up the Hegel product line for this capability.     My digital source is Jriver Media Center, which can do the format conversion and down conversions, but I have never tried this and have to think that there would be inconvenience or sonic compromise involved.     I don't want to resort to an external DAC both due to the expense and because I want this system to be small, compact, and simple, without external components dangling.
     It appears that the H90 and H190 products are several years old, and I am thinking that a possible improved version may be imminent, maybe along with more capable internal DAC's.     I will not purchase a product of this expense that is not accompanied by a home audition arrangement of some kind. This eliminates the similar Parasound HINT 6, but the McIntosh MA5300 is a possibility. I have no idea whether trying these two products is even worth my time. (The MA5300 is interesting with its modular plugin DAC, but there are no convenient accommodations for subwoofer connections.)     Any insight here into the destiny of the H90 or H190?

128x128mcdonalk
h190 is current... h90 has been replaced by h95 and h120 on lower end of the line, mostly updating the dac sections... h190 dac section considered to be quite current and should not be updated in the near future

to say hegels make a yamaha sound ordinary... well, better is better... just no two ways about it... it actually ain’t a fair fight
If you listen to your system because it provides you an enjoyable
experience logic would dictate that a change for the better needs
no further investigation. 

Or am I missing something?