Guitar Solos

As a serious music listener and a musician,(although I am a drummer) nothing makes me shiver like a good guitar solo. It's seems to be a dying art,at least in popular music. Still lots of good guitar in blues and jazz. Some of my favs : Dear John by Jack Semple ,La Grange By Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, Aqualung By Martin Barre with Jethro Tull and Bluest Blues by Alvin Lee. I'd love to check out some other peoples favs, a couple old and maybe a couple new??
billbeat
Michael schenker. Rick derringer has some wicked solos!

Also Johnny winter, and a lot of blues songs have wicked solos!

“Eric Clapton - Let It Rain”

Without a doubt - goosebumps every time I hear this one.

Duane Allman early on in Mountain Jam is also astonishing. 
Many Steely Dan records have a lot of hidden gems in terms of guitar solos.  I say hidden, because when you think of Steely Dan, you don't typically think of them as a guitar band and the guitar solos are usually a little further back in the mix, but listen to Rikki Don't Lose That Number or Night by Night on Pretzel Logic.  The solo from Reelin' In the Years is one of my favorites ever.
I usually don’t bump old threads, but since it’s guitar solos’s I couldn’t resist.

bdp24 always has great nominees.

"Many Steely Dan records have a lot of hidden gems in terms of guitar solos."

big_greg-
As a fan of SD up to maybe Aja- ALL the guitar solos are fantastic!
The great Denny Dias does most, but SD always had epic session players including Jeff(Skunk) Baxter-Doobie Brothers who did "Rikki"

An EPIC SD solo by Denny Dias is -Bohdisattva(Countdown to Ecstacy)
Classic call and response between guitar and the other musicians.

A truly good guitar solo or on any instrument is the musician telling a story. There are a many "shred" nomineess listed here, but many of them are just noodling away with technique and no substance-IMO.

A solo is like an essay-intro, body and close. Most shredders are guilty of too much technical flash-boring.

The great Larry Carlton is another SD session player who did Josie.