Gryphon Diablo 120, Luxman L-590AXII, Other? For KEF R11

I have a MyTek Manhattan II and Parasound A21+ right now paired with my KEF R11’s.  Use the MyTek as preamp/DAC/streamer - considering replacing it and the Parasound with an integrated.  Have the opportunity to pick up the Gryphon or the Luxman for a good price -any thoughts on what may be a better match for the KEFs?  Any other suggestions for a good match in a similar price range? Thanks!

128x128bruxesq

Hi. I own that precise "combo" (Luxman L-590AXII + Kef R11) and these two, get along very well. I tried to home demo several different combinations (Pass Labs, Rega top level models, other Luxman models - as the mentioned L-509 etc.) and this Class A integrated amp is all that I apreciate more for my taste.

Even the L-509 (Luxman) didn´t match so well with these R11 speakers. I know very well the most of the Luxman models (that I love) and they depend a lot of the speakers match. Even the new (and limited edition) L-595 didn´t match the R11 as great as the L590AXII. Its a excellent amp (class A too, a little bit more smooth in the highs maybe, but in the lower parts I did like more the L-590AXII). 

I am quite satisfied in all frequencies. The bass is powerful and with that full body sound feeling (not boomy but tight), the medle range is very sweet and unique on these class A amps, the higs very smooth. 

As sources I use analog and digital, and in both ways are great. 

Any question or doubt feel free to ask here or in private. 

Cheers

Even the new (and limited edition) L-595 didn´t match the R11 as great as the L590AXII. Its a excellent amp (class A too, a little bit more smooth in the highs maybe, but in the lower parts I did like more the L-590AXII).

It appears that you have compared the L-595SE to the L-590AXII. That’s great. Based on your description I can imagine the 595 to have a more robust or muscular presentation in the bass and/or midbass than the 590AXII. However, the treble of the L-595SE might sound a tad smooth or recessed in comparison to the L-590AXII.

If I could surmise correctly, I suppose a L-595SE with the treble performance of the L-590AXII might be a winner?

Good point with speaker matching. I prefer the L-590AXII matched to revealing and detailed Marten Duke 2 speakers. These speakers will show a harsh and brittle treble when matched with forward/bright/colored sounding amps. The Marten sounds just right with the Luxman, great clarity and detail without sounding overly bright in the treble. I didn’t like the Luxman/Harbeth match too much though, sound is a little too smooth and polite.

Thank you all for the input.  Sounds like a lot of positivity for either.

I’m somewhat leaning Luxman because the built in phono is supposed to be quite good and I may add a TT in the near future if the amplification gets me to where I want to be.

Anyone out there had any real world experience with the Gryphon and any KEF speakers?