Good USB DAC for Desktop use around $100-$250?

Hello Everyone.

I currently have a Creative EMU 0204 DAC/Head amp hooked to my PC and Aktimate Maxi powered speakers for desktop use.

I am looking for a DAC in the price range from $100-250 to replace my EMU. There are just so many of them around that i dont know which one to go for. Very confused.
I have simple requirements. I need only a DAC, not a headphone amp. But something that is better than my EMU 0204.
I would like something that accepts input from USB type B, as i just got a Supra USB A to B cable and i like it a lot.

Top of the table currently looks like Schiit Modi or HRT MS2. I dont know how of an improvement would they be over EMU?
I have read good things about ODAC but its only available with Mini-USB input? if someone knows a version with USB type B, let me know.

I am not partial to any particular brand, even a good chinese Dac would be great. Please give me some suggestions. Much appreciated.
adurlabhji
MwTech recently announced a new hiFace DAC. I have not seen much about it, but you might want to take a look. $295, but Type A USB. Goes up to 32/384 in case your dog also listens to music :)

I like my HRT Streamer 2 for my office system, but have not compared it to DACS like the Schitts.
Schiit dac is pretty close sounding to the ODAC. Just to give you an idea on how it sounds :)
Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Schiit DACs. They have very good reviews and I doubt you could go wrong with one but I can't make a guess about the quality relative to the Aune or the VDAC.

I've been very happy with the VDAC I in an office system. One of my friends bought one based on my recommendation as an upgrade to a a well-regarded universal player and was shocked at how much better the sound was. But DAC technology is moving so quickly I think you just have to jump in and give something a try. No easy or definitive answers to your question.
Thanks for your response.

Aune t1 is something i am looking at as well.
Would a V-dac be better than a schiit modi/HRT?
A used Musical Fidelity VDAC or VDAC II would be a good bet and both have the USB type B connector.

At the less expensive end, the Audioengine D1 is a good value. It does have a headphone amp built in and I don't know how it would compare with your EMU DAC.

I've had a couple of Chinese DACs, from Valab and Aune. I didn't care for the Valab - it had a slight hum, ran very hot and didn't sound great in my system. The Aune was much better built and sounded good at the price. Again, I don't have any way to compare to your current DAC.